Friday, November 21, 2014

Has Your Speech Matured?

Anyone who has spent time with small child knows that they tend to have a cute language of their own. Certain words or phrases become a part of their speech that are very cute at a young age. Even the name is often familiarized for a young child. For instance, when my son Jonathan was young we called him Jon - Jon. If we were to use that term of endearment for my now 23-year-old son, it would be totally inappropriate. There are some things that are very cute when a young child says them, but are simply wrong coming from an adult.
At the very beginning of life we acknowledge any sounds that are similar to a word we hope to hear. Thus, the sounds dadada becomes daddy and mmma becomes mommy. In our house, O’s signified Cheerios and animal sounds replace the actual names. The cow was referred to as a ‘moo moo’ and the duck was a ‘quack quack.’ Some other words that Jonathan misspoke as a preschooler include hopital for hospital and, psketti for spaghetti.  Even as I attempt to type them now, the spell check on my computer alerts me that something is wrong with these words. What was cute then is now simply incorrect. 
In what is often referred to as the ‘love chapter,’ the apostle Paul speaks of this concept. “When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; now that I have become a man, I am done with childish ways and have put them aside.” (1 Corinthians 13:11 AMP) 
Children are by nature, egocentric. They perceive the world completely by how it affects them. As they grow older they begin to understand that they are part of the greater world. We may first approach our relationship with God mainly interested in what He has provided for us. Scripture does tell us, Bless (affectionately, gratefully praise) the Lord, O my soul, and forget not [one of] all His benefits” (Psalm 103:2 AMP) We are to consider and enjoy the benefits Jesus died to provide for us. But as we spend more time with God, we will begin to consider more of what we can do for Him. “What will you do for me?” is replaced with “what can I do for you today?” We find that knowing Him and serving Him are both important.
In the quest for independence a young child will come up with phrases such as, “my own self,” or “I do it!” This again may be appropriate to some degree in a young child’s development. As a young Christian we also begin to venture out more in our own faith rather than relying on others for help. We mature by learning the great necessity of total reliance on God. What we may have wanted to do ourselves, we understand can only be done under the direction and power of the Holy Spirit. We grow to understand the words of Jesus. “I am the Vine; you are the branches. Whoever lives in Me and I in him bears much (abundant) fruit. However, apart from Me [cut off from vital union with Me] you can do nothing.” (John 15:5 AMP) “I’ll do it myself” is replaced with “I can’t do it at all unless You lead and empower me.” 
What parent has not endured the excessive question of “why?” from their inquisitive child? To know and understand our Creator and Heavenly Father, the unending question of ‘why’ will also become a part of our quest.   Although acceptable and potentially admirable in a young Christian, again we must learn to put some of these things aside as we grow up in our faith. We learn that the question of “Why” will not always be answered. We become content to know that we could not possibly Understand all of God’s ways. Your [infinite] knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high above me, I cannot reach it.” (Psalm 139:6 AMP) True trust, accompanied by peace, causes us to no longer need to understand all our situations but simply know that God both controls our lives and has our best interests in mind. Even in trials this trust prevails.  “We are assured and know that [God being a partner in their labor] all things work together and are [fitting into a plan] for good to and for those who love God and are called according to [His] design and purpose.”  (Romans 8:28 AMP) 
Our level of maturity will be shown in what we think, say and do in our everyday lives. As we walk in selfless love, our dedication to Jesus will become plain to see. “By this shall all [men] know that you are My disciples, if you love one another [if you keep on showing love among yourselves].”  (John 13:35 AMP) We must let love rule all.

So today, check your speech, thoughts and actions. Be conscious to put away childish things to talk and act like a spiritual grown-up. Some of the baby talk is no longer becoming to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment