Thursday, February 11, 2016

Learn By Doing

Although there are many different learning styles, often the best way to retain memory of a skill is by actually doing it. My son, who is very tech savvy, will try to explain something to me each time I encounter a problem. To him this solution is very simple and he cannot understand why I'm not getting it. He can explain it, and even show me how to do something, but when I need it again a few weeks later I cannot remember what to do.
“Let me do it myself! Talk me through it, but let me actually do it. That way I won't need to keep running to you every time I have this problem.” Over and again I speak these words. This approach promotes quick learning and an ability to remember for future use. I can become very skilled, even on a computer, with a task I have performed before. I can even expand my knowledge and skill base by performing functions a few times. For me it all comes down to doing it myself. If only shown I will forget, but if I do I will remember and be able to do again. This new found ability becomes a part of me.
Learning and practicing the Word of God is very similar. Timothy's second letter stresses the great importance of the Word of God in our lives. “Every Scripture is God-breathed (given by His inspiration) and profitable for instruction, for reproof and conviction of sin, for correction of error and discipline in obedience, [and] for training in righteousness (in holy living, in conformity to God's will in thought, purpose, and action)” (2 Timothy 3:16 AMP) We are to take the scriptures as the very Word of God directly to our hearts. “Study and be eager and do your utmost to present yourself to God approved (tested by trial), a workman who has no cause to be ashamed, correctly analyzing and accurately dividing [rightly handling and skillfully teaching] the Word of Truth.” (2 Timothy 2:15 AMP) This study of Scripture is critical to our growth.
Study of the Word of God alone is not enough. James tells us “…and in a humble (gentle, modest) spirit receive and welcome the Word which implanted and rooted [in your hearts] contains the power to save your souls. But be doers of the Word [obey the message], and not merely listeners to it, betraying yourselves [into deception by reasoning contrary to the Truth]. For if anyone only listens to the Word without obeying it and being a doer of it, he is like a man who looks carefully at his [own] natural face in a mirror.” (James 1:21b-23 AMP) We can hear the Word of God, study it and even quote it, but if we are not letting it get into our daily actions we are missing the entire point.
The Apostle Paul commanded us imitate God. “Therefore be imitators of God [copy Him and follow His example], as well-beloved children [imitate their father].” (Ephesians 5:1 AMP) Jesus lived out the Word of God in every area of his life here on earth. He said that He only did what He saw the Father doing. “So Jesus answered them by saying, I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, the Son is able to do nothing of Himself (of His own accord); but He is able to do only what He sees the Father doing, for whatever the Father does is what the Son does in the same way [in His turn].” (John 5:19 AMP) Paul also told us to imitate him. “Pattern yourselves after me [follow my example], as I imitate and follow Christ (the Messiah)” (1 Corinthians 11:1 AMP). This command to imitate his actions had power because he also was imitating Jesus Christ.
Jesus said, “If you [really] love Me, you will keep (obey) My commands. And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, and Standby), that He may remain with you forever.” (John 14:15-16 AMP) We rely on the leading and power of the Holy Spirit to help us to do all that we learn in the Word of God. And when trials come we are prepared to face them with faith and obedience. Love will be our response when we are actively doing the Word of God.
We learn and retain by doing. That is why me must do the things we are taught in the Word of God. By doing the Word of God we will grow up in all things. “Rather, let our lives lovingly express truth [in all things, speaking truly, dealing truly, living truly]. Enfolded in love, let us grow up in every way and in all things into Him Who is the Head, [even] Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One).” (Ephesians 4:15 AMP) Then, when future trials come, we will be prepared to respond with the love of Christ.

As a student of the Word of God, do what the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit instruct you to do. Allow the Word of God to become a part of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment