Friday, June 17, 2016

Not the Only One

My family recently went on a road trip to Tennessee. Driving down rural Illinois roads in the early hours of the morning, I found myself amazed that even at a speed limit of 70 miles per hour, other cars would periodically pass me. Seventy is a reasonably fast speed, and somehow I felt that more people would drive abiding by the speed limit. It surprised me how many cars I witnessed approaching in the rear view mirror and soon disappear on the road in front of me.
In the moments when other cars speed by, I almost felt as though I was the only one obeying the law. Because it was very early in the morning, there were not yet many cars on the road. That is what made the speeding cars all the more obvious. Soon I realized that there were probably many other cars occupied by drivers who were driving just as I was and following the speed limit. Because we were all driving at the same speed, we would remain out of each other's line of vision. It was only when another car was traveling faster or slower than the posted speeds that we would encounter each other.
On the path of our lives we may sometimes feel that we are the only ones seeking God and following His ways. Even the Prophet Elijah felt like this when he was being hunted by Queen Jezebel. He ran from this evil queen.
“There he came to a cave and lodged in it; and behold, the word of the Lord came to him, and He said to him, What are you doing here, Elijah?  He replied, I have been very jealous for the Lord God of hosts; for the Israelites have forsaken Your covenant, thrown down Your altars, and killed Your prophets with the sword. And I, I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.” (1 Kings 19:9-10 AMP)
Even though God that just performed an incredible miracle through Elijah and the people of Israel it followed after to seize and defeat the evil prophets, Elijah told God that he was the only one left.
The Lord's response was to assure him that many others, whom he knew nothing about, still honored and obeyed God. “Yet I will leave Myself 7,000 in Israel, all the knees that have not bowed to Baal and every mouth that has not kissed him.” (1Kings 19:18 AMP) Fear and weariness had caused Elijah to believe this lie. All he could see was his own life and those who were against him. Yet there was not only a few who were also faithful, but thousands.
When times are tough and it appears that others are compromising their values, we may begin to feel that we also are among the only ones staying true to the Lord. But we have a limited line of vision. Throughout the world many are facing difficult situations and not stepping back from their commitment to the Lord. We can take courage that others are also seeking the will of God and purposing their lives to follow His direction daily.
We are never alone in our struggles because God is always with us. “…for He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let [you] down (relax My hold on you)! [Assuredly not!]” (Hebrews 13:5 AMP) In this we can take courage. “So we take comfort and are encouraged and confidently and boldly say, The Lord is my Helper; I will not be seized with alarm [I will not fear or dread or be terrified]. What can man do to me?” (Hebrews 13:6 AMP) As members of the Body of Christ we can seek encouragement from each other and we must strive to be the encouragement to others as well. “Therefore encourage (admonish, exhort) one another and edify (strengthen and build up) one another, just as you are doing.” (1 Thessalonians 5:11 AMP)
Seen or unseen by us, many follow God daily. We may see sin and those who oppose God all around, but we must not forget those who are with us and standing strong.

You are not alone. So keep on in your walk with God and encourage those along the way who may feel that they are alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment