Friday, September 13, 2013

Lessons From a Squirrel

One day, back when I was in college, I was sitting in wooded area at the UW Parkside. I had been asking God about following his direction for my life. He showed me a picture of this, through the activities of a squirrel.
I observed the squirrel hop up onto the end of a fallen tree trunk. He ran with amazing speed to the other end.  He intently scanned the area and hopped off.  Cautiously, he began to cross the ground. He painstakingly selected where each foot was placed, zigzagging and turning through the underbrush. This process caused him to side step, change direction and even backtrack as he continued to the next fallen tree. Once there, he proceeded to again hop up on the trunk and run like the wind.
I watched this pattern repeat itself several times until my squirrel friend was out of sight. His turns and changes took him in a completely different direction than he had appeared to be headed when he initially began his journey. Eventually, he had climbed up into the branches of a tall, living tree far across the woods.
As I reflected on this process, I saw my life set before me. There would be times in my life that the direction would be clear and I would run with a confidence and passion for the things that God had set before me. At other times the path may not be so clear. I would have to test the ground to see where the proper steps would take me. During these times, seeking God and stepping out with care would be essential. These times may not be as fast moving, but they would allow God to fine-tune the direction of my live.
Now, more than 30 years later, I can see that this process has occurred over and over in my life. There have been times when my path has been clearly set before me.  Jesus promised “The sheep that are My own hear and are listening to My voice; and I know them, and they follow Me.” (John 10:27) I have known the next step from God and been able to follow it with confidence. Daily life occurs during these times, with its little distractions. But overall, I know where I’m going and that I am doing what God has for me at this time.
There are also those times when I have asked God, “What in the world are you doing?” During these times, I’m tempted to just sit and wait at the end of that tree trunk.  Because I do not see the next step clearly, I do not want to move. Sometimes this occurs because I don’t want to miss God.  Other times it is simply laziness or fear. Early on, God taught me a valuable lesson for when I am in this stubborn, stuck mode. “And your ears will hear a word behind you, saying, ’This is the way; walk in it, when you turn to the right hand and when you turn to the left.’” (Isaiah 30:21) This verse has given me great comfort when I step out into the unclear areas.  God promises us that if we take a step in the wrong direction he will call from behind, “Not that way. Turn this way.” When we have made the right choice, He’ll also nudge us on, “That’s it! Keep going!”  
Has my life turned out the way I intended? Has the path been easy and clear along the way? These questions make me chuckle just a little. Who could have seen a premature birth coming? Who intends to sit as a husband has in brain surgery? And then there are the comas, car wreck,” flight for life” to Children’s Hospital and several other incidents that have occurred in the life of my family. During these times it was so great to know that God would both speak so I could follow and go behind and call out to me and correct my path.
Think about the life of Joseph. I’m pretty sure he never intended to be sold by his brothers or get put in prison. But as he told those brothers later in life, “But now, do not be distressed and disheartened or vexed and angry with yourselves because you sold me here, for God sent me ahead of you to preserve life.” (Genesis 45:5) Joseph’s greatest work was only accomplished because of those hard times.  Similarly, my life is what it is today, because of my hard times.
These would be the times when my squirrel was between the tree trunks, testing the ground, carefully seeking his way. Knowing this, I can confidently choose my steps, knowing that God has another path already prepared for me.  Maybe this will be the time I climb into the branches of that strong, upright, living tree. And, even then, there will be another branch to climb or jump over to, as this wonderful walk with God continues.  Run, hop and climb with great expectation!  Following God’s voice or hearing Him from behind, you will be always remain in His care.

No comments:

Post a Comment