Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sit Simply Means Sit.

I have learned many lessons in the last few years from my dogs, Beamer and Kari. One thing occurs regularly in our home. I think it may be a pair of lessons I need to be reminded of often.
We’ve had Beamer for just over three years and Kari for one. Because of the time when Beamer was our only dog, we have invested a little bit more in training him. Kari does okay, but sometimes needs extra promptings to sit. Beamer will sit on the first command. Kari knows how to sit on command and is learning to do so more promptly.
There is usually a treat involved when I give the command, “sit.” Both of my dogs get really excited about treats. Okay, impatient anticipation describes it a little better. All right, they get downright crazy. Beamer will do just about anything, to ensure he gets his treat as quickly as possible. Thus, if sitting doesn’t bring the immediate reward, he will begin trying anything he has ever learned. When I have to repeat the command for Kari to obey, Beamer will then go from “sit” to “down” to “up” and back to “sit.”  Kari, on the other hand, just looks at me. She needs a moment to focus on my voice, rather than the treat.  Then she needs to process that when I say “sit” I mean “sit.”
How often do I act like one or the other of my dogs when God gives me direction?
Sometimes I have done exactly what God has asked me to do.  I can forget that there are many factors concerning the workings of God. Other people may be involved. Character traits in me may need a little adjusting. Leaving time for these can require me to wait. During this time, I may not understand why there is a delay in the answer to my prayer. If I am not careful, I can become just like Beamer. I can doubt that I have heard and obeyed God. I can start questioning, “What am I doing wrong?” I can also begin to try other ‘works of the flesh’ to get God to answer my prayers in my timing.
At other times, I can be just like Kari. God can speak to my heart and although I hear Him talking, I don’t seem to move at all. For whatever reason, reluctance, laziness, or lack of clarity, I am not quick to obey. I need to hear the command a couple more times before I do what I am told.  In all situations, I truly want to experience what God intends for me.  I just don’t always respond quickly or correctly.
A Biblical example of Beamer’s response is found in the Genesis account of Abraham.  God promised him a son.  When the promise did not come about soon enough, he began trying to make it happen on his own.  After two such attempts, he waited on God.  Though it took many years, he received the original promise. “And so it was that he [Abraham], having waited long and endured patiently, realized and obtained [in the birth of Isaac as a pledge of what was to come] what God had promised him.”  (Hebrews 6:15 AMP)  His own attempts did not produce the desired results.  Only waiting on God’s provision can bring about His promises. 
One example of the behavior Kari exhibits is the young Samuel.  He heard God call his name, but did not realize it was God speaking. He ran to Eli the priest.  This occurred three times before Eli explained that this was the voice of God.  The next time God called, he quickly responded, “Speak, Lord, for Your servant is listening.” (1 Samuel 3:10b AMP)  I sometime wonder if I attribute nudges from God as random thoughts.  I hear them in my mind, but don’t take the time or effort to investigate their origin.  I simply dismiss them.  God repeats the command until I realize that it is Him and decide to obey.  At other times, when the task is difficult, I may not want to obey.  It takes a few times for me to respond correctly.  Oh, He is so patient with me!
When I am in either of these ‘doggie’ modes I need to be cautious.  Since others can be involved, my quick obedience may cause me to wait for others to respond as well.  I may also need to mature in some areas.  During these times I cannot begin to question why God is not moving quicker. I cannot begin to analyze what else I need to do to hurry it along.  I must only affirm that I have done and am doing what God has asked.  Then I must trust in His timing.  When I hear God’s promptings in my heart, I must quickly ascertain that it is God and then decide to immediately obey.
In all instances, our responses should be “Yes Lord.”  For the times we are tempted to respond as Beamer does, we must remember “to obey is better than sacrifice.”  (1Samuel 15:22b AMP)  To avoid acting like Kari, we must remember this instruction, But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.”  (James 1:22 NLT)
Let these verses be the cry of our hearts, “I waited patiently and expectantly for the Lord; and He inclined to me and heard my cry.”  (Psalm 40:1 AMP) and “Give me understanding and I will obey your instructions; I will put them into practice with all my heart.” (Psalm 119:34 NLT) 

At the appointed time (when both dogs were sitting) the treat came.  At the appointed time (God’s time) His plan will be worked out in your life.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That is so true! I struggle with both those responses to God's commands and promptings. Thank you for that good reminder. I pray that I'll become quicker to hear, understand, and obey the voice of God.

    ReplyDelete