Friday, September 19, 2014

Follow the Signal for Your Life (Life’s Intersections 2)

While sitting in the front position of the center lane at a red light, I allowed my gaze to drift to a billboard off to the left. There were some branches blocking a portion of the sign. I was attempting to figure out the words that were hidden, when the vehicle next to me began moving. Realizing that my attention had drifted from the road and the traffic light, I took my foot off the brake. Returning my attention to the intersection I was grateful that I had not also put my foot on the gas. The moving vehicle I had seen in my peripheral vision had been in the left turn lane.
The light had changed to a green left turn signal. The traffic across the street had gotten the same green arrow. Had I moved forward too far, I would’ve been directly in the path of the pickup that was now turning left. I replaced my foot on the brake to wait for my turn to proceed down the road. I watched as a line of vehicles, both beside me and from across the street, made their left turns. These vehicles all have the right-of-way because of the arrow on the traffic light.
While waiting on God’s plan to be revealed to us, we can become distracted by the daily activities of life. We can become completely engrossed in what we see happening around us. This can cause us to become distracted from God’s path for us. We must keep our eyes on the road ahead. This is accomplished by studying God’s word and following the commands to pray continually. “ Be unceasing in prayer [praying perseveringly](1 Thessalonians 5: 17 AMP)
When we become distracted we have not actually left God’s will, but we can easily get off track. When I watched the vehicle to my left (even out of the corner of my eye) it caused me to move improperly. The path that driver was following went in a different direction than mine. The proper time to move was also different. We must always listen to the instructions of the Holy Spirit.And your ears will hear a word behind you, saying, This is the way; walk in it, when you turn to the right hand and when you turn to the left.” (Isaiah 30:21 AMP) We must stay on the track that we are called to follow.
When I looked back to my lane, I saw the vehicle from across the street beginning to make an appropriate left turn. As I put my foot back on the brake pedal I realized that I could have caused the collision between his vehicle and mine. This would’ve been completely my fault because he had the right-of-way. Bringing my attention back to the traffic signal, I clearly saw the red light beside the green turn arrow.
When moving outside of God’s timing we may not simply hurt ourselves, but we can also cause our brothers or sisters to be hurt. This can often occur when we intervene during someone’s trial without first hearing from God. Even if we are attempting to help we can actually hinder God’s plan to deliver that person. We may interfere with the unseen work God is doing in his or her life.
Because I had quickly brought my attention back to the traffic signals and vehicles around me, I had been able to catch myself and correct my behavior before causing damage. I had not moved far enough into the intersection to be in the way of the vehicles that were turning left. I waited until the light turned green and cautiously proceeded on the rest of my trip.
When we begin to stray a little bit off track, we can quickly return our attention and get back into sync with God’s plan. It is best to keep our attention focused on Him. Yet His grace will catch us when we stray. Staying too far can lead to serious damage both in our lives and those around us. Our continual prayer should be, “ And see if there is any wicked or hurtful way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 139:24 AMP)
As you go out today keep your attention focused on God’s plan. If you begin to stray a little off the path listen to His promptings and return quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment