Friday, July 17, 2015

Driving in Darkness or Walking in Light

Have you ever driven on an unfamiliar road in the dark? You may have driven up and down the road several times during the daylight and be familiar with many of the landmarks along the way. But once darkness falls the landmarks and road signs can be hard to discern. Finding a needed turn can become difficult.
I was driving down a road returning to camp after a quick trip into town for some needed supplies. The camp is in another state from where I live and the roads are unfamiliar. Most of my prior trips down this road had been in the passenger seat while my husband drove. It had also been during the daytime when a large red sign, followed by a big, ceramic, brown cow on the right had been clearly visible. A little farther down on the left was an old-style car for sale. This was followed by the small, barely perceptible bridge and the left turn that led to the YMCA camp. I had departed while it was still light, gotten my supplies and began to return in the quickly falling darkness.
Passing the red sign I looked for the big, brown cow, but knew that it in the darkness it may not be visible. I then saw what I thought was the building where the car was for sale, but again I could not see the car in front. At this point another vehicle was speeding toward me from behind. (I have been driving about 10 miles below speed limit in search of my turn.) As I double checked the headlights in the rear view mirror, the thought crossed my mind, “Was that the bridge?” The car was now too close for me to slow down any further to look for the left turn I needed to make. I continued down the road for about two more miles with the car closely behind me. When he finally passed, I was relieved because I was sure now that I had missed the turn.
Turning around, I retraced my steps until I found a sign to turn off the road for the YMCA camp. Once I had made this turn it was easy to navigate the way into the camp into the cafeteria to drop off the supplies.
Living our life in the presence of God, we are best able to discern the path ahead of us. God is light. “And this is the message [the message of promise] which we have heard from Him and now are reporting to you: God is Light, and there is no darkness in Him at all [no, not in any way].” (1 John 1:5 AMP) Walking in daily communication with Him through Scripture and prayer, we can see the path ahead more clearly. “The entrance and unfolding of Your words give light; their unfolding gives understanding (discernment and comprehension) to the simple.” (Psalm 119:130 AMP) King David wisely also said, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” (Psalm 119:105 AMP)
Not following the precepts of God’s word, we are actually in darkness. We can say that we know God. But if we do not believe in Jesus and the salvation that His death and resurrection have brought us, we are in darkness. “[So] if we say we are partakers together and enjoy fellowship with Him when we live and move and are walking about in darkness, we are [both] speaking falsely and do not live and practice the Truth [which the Gospel presents].” (1 John 1:6 AMP) The truth of the Gospel is essential in knowing God. In the darkness, we miss the signs that God has set on our path.
Sometimes darkness is all around us. When life seems darkest, we must pay close attention to what we know of God’s plan. We must be diligent to remember God’s promises. “But as for you, continue to hold to the things that you have learned and of which you are convinced, knowing from whom you learned [them], And how from your childhood you have had a knowledge of and been acquainted with the sacred Writings, which are able to instruct you and give you the understanding for salvation which comes through faith in Christ Jesus [through the leaning of the entire human personality on God in Christ Jesus in absolute trust and confidence in His power, wisdom, and goodness].” (2 Timothy 3:14-15 AMP) Help is available for us. “But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you.” (John 14:26 AMP) We must ignore distractions and search for His direction at all times. He will show us the path and direct us home.
God’s Word counsels us to walk with other believers in the light. “But if we [really] are living and walking in the Light, as He [Himself] is in the Light, we have [true, unbroken] fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses (removes) us from all sin and guilt [keeps us cleansed from sin in all its forms and manifestations].” (1 John 1:7 AMP) God has placed us together with others. We are to walk in unity to support each other to follow the path that God places before us.
We do not want to miss anything God has for us. So in times of darkness, we can call out, “O send out Your light and Your truth, let them lead me;” (Psalm 43:3a AMP) God promises “I [the Lord] will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you.” (Psalm 32:8 AMP) With the counsel of God in our life we will see the turns that we need to take.

Seek God and walk in the light. Follow closely and He will lead you, even when times are dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment