Friday, September 4, 2015

How Can He Still Love Me?

After nearly twenty eight years of marriage, I sometimes look at my husband and wonder, “How can this man still love me?” He has seen his fair share of my worst side. And yet he still looks into my eyes with love radiating from his. Somehow he forgets my flaws and views me through the filter of his love.
Among my bad habits, I have this tendency to lose things. It can be my glasses, my keys, my phone and sometimes my temper. I have gotten somewhat better over the years, but those nasty habits creep in on occasion. David patiently finds my keys, finds my glasses and finds my phone. He overlooks my occasional outbursts. His love continues regardless of my behavior.
The same can be wondered of our Lord. When we have failed, as we so often do, we can ask, “How can You still love me, God?”  This question has been asked over and over. King David inquired, “What is man that You are mindful of him, and the son of [earthborn] man that You care for him?” (Psalm 8:4 AMP) David understood that it had nothing to do with the goodness of man, but the love of God, that is the basis for our relationship with the Lord. God chose us. “Even as [in His love] He chose us [actually picked us out for Himself as His own] in Christ before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy (consecrated and set apart for Him) and blameless in His sight, even above reproach, before Him in love.” (Ephesians 1:4 AMP) This choice was made while we were at our worst. “But God—so rich is He in His mercy! Because of and in order to satisfy the great and wonderful and intense love with which He loved us, Even when we were dead (slain) by [our own] shortcomings and trespasses, He made us alive together in fellowship and in union with Christ; [He gave us the very life of Christ Himself, the same new life with which He quickened Him, for] it is by grace (His favor and mercy which you did not deserve) that you are saved (delivered from judgment and made partakers of Christ's salvation).” (Ephesians 2:4-5 AMP)  Before we ever did one thing right He chose us as His own.
We cannot do anything to earn or lose God’s love. Choosing to love us God, by His very nature, willingly forgives every sin we commit. “Who is a God like You, Who forgives iniquity and passes over the transgression of the remnant of His heritage? He retains not His anger forever, because He delights in mercy and loving-kindness. He will again have compassion on us; He will subdue and tread underfoot our iniquities. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea.” (Micah 7:18-19 AMP) He chooses to forget all our wrongdoings. “…And their sins and their lawbreaking I will remember no more.” (Hebrews 10:17 AMP)
How can God still love us? It is all about His mercy and compassion. “He saved us, not because of any works of righteousness that we had done, but because of His own pity and mercy.” (Titus 3:5a AMP) He truly loves us and is always merciful toward us. “But You, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in mercy and loving-kindness and truth.” (Psalm 86:15 AMP)
My husband, David looks at me, not as the woman who has blown it on numerous occasions, but with the same eyes that he watched the woman who stood at the back of the church that day in 1987. He stood at the front with tears streaming down his face as he awaited my approach down the aisle to become his cherished partner for life. God does not look at our faults and see the times when we have blown it. He looks at us and sees the bride that was purchased by the precious blood of Jesus. We are the bride that He has chosen. He delights in us. “The Lord your God is in the midst of you, a Mighty One, a Savior [Who saves]! He will rejoice over you with joy; He will rest [in silent satisfaction] and in His love He will be silent and make no mention [of past sins, or even recall them]; He will exult over you with singing.” (Zephaniah 3:17 AMP)

No matter how many times you may have blown it and done things you wish you had not, God’s love continues unconditionally. He cherishes you and sees you through eyes of unlimited love.

No comments:

Post a Comment