Friday, April 29, 2016

Wanderer or Ponderer (8/22/14)

Recently, the chorus of an old song has been running through my mind with a little bit of a twist. “The Wanderer” was made popular in the sixties by the singer, Dion. The short chorus is simply, “They call me the wanderer, Yeah, the wanderer. I roam around, around, around.” During a conversation with my son concerning personal Bible study, he commented that I reminded him of this verse about Mary. “But Mary was keeping within herself all these things (sayings), weighing and pondering them in her heart.” (Luke 2:19AMP) He said that he noticed that I ponder everything I hear or read. I have also thought that this verse describes how I react to many of life situations and God’s work in them. Soon after that conversation I began humming the tune and singing this version in my mind. “Cuz I’m a ponderer, yeah a ponderer. Thoughts roam around, around, around.”
Actually these behaviors can be two approaches to studying God’s word. You do have people that are very orderly and have specific plans by which they will read through the Bible. But you also have wanderers who open the Bible with the question, “Where should I read today?” They may even finish a segment of Scripture such as a certain book. But when they finish that portion they again question the next step. This approach can be a bit dangerous if one finds him or herself wandering from favorite passage to favorite passage. There is so much more in the word of God that can be missed when we stick with the familiar. We may also feel the sense of wandering through the Bible and lose the passion to continue on a regular basis.
In order to stay engaged and hear God speak through His Word, I have chosen to ponder my way through the Bible. With notebook in hand, I seek to find something that I can apply to my heart as I read each day. Initially I started this with study aids that asked questions about the Scriptures that were read that day. In order to answer these questions, I had to carefully consider what I was reading. There are many resources available and I do still like to use this method on occasion. But lately I have found myself reading through entire books, and often several books in order, with the intent to find at least one thing that applies to my life. I have determined to find an application for me and write something down each day. I find that many days there’s almost too much to get it all down in my journal.
God has not commanded us to merely read His Word.  “This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good success.” (Joshua 1:8 AMP) It is His desire that we meditate on it. Part of meditating on anything is to ponder its meaning. Believing that the Bible is God’s inspired word for us, means that we can apply the principles we read to our own lives.
Sometimes there are clear answers to prayers and directions to follow. Other times my notebook becomes filled with questions that may not be answered immediately. I know that these are things that I must seek God and that the answers may unfold slowly, like the opening of a flower. This often occurs when studying the lives that are recorded in Scripture. Considering the outcomes of their decisions can help us to determine decisions that we should make. The question, “What does this mean for me?” must be asked and the answer sought.
Another find that is often recorded in my study journal is where well-known Scriptures are found. This is not the chapter and verse to locate the Scripture. It is rather what is happening in the passage when the verse was penned. An example is the verse, “If My people, who are called by My name, shall humble themselves, pray, seek, crave, and require of necessity My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven, forgive their sin, and heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14 AMP) One would think that this verse would have been written at a time when Israel was not seeking God. In reality, this promise was given to King Solomon just after the dedication of the temple at Jerusalem. At a time when Israel was celebrating His presence, God gave this as a remedy for a possible future time when the people would stray. Things like this cause me to ponder how God has made a way for us even before trouble comes. We do not have to wait until we are in the midst of a trial to find His direction.
So like King David we can respond to the word given us by Almighty God. “I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Your doings; I ponder the work of Your hands.”  (Psalm 143:5 AMP)
So do not wander aimlessly through the Bible. Enjoy pondering through God’s Word. Allow the meaning of that Word to roam around and around your mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment