Friday, July 1, 2016

A Fly at the Window (6/4/14)

Most have heard the phrase, “I wish I were a fly on the wall.” This phrase refers to a desire to overhear a particular conversation. Recently I had an encounter with an actual fly at the window. It was the window of the sliding glass door that leads to our backyard. While letting the dogs out, I noticed a fly hovering near the glass. I attempted to guide it around the edge of the door with my hand. The fly desperately attempted to escape that large hand coming at it. It flew down near my feet, then up high and then back to mid-level. At this point, using both hands, I successfully guided and finally pushed the fly around the side of the door and into the opening. It instantly flew into its newfound freedom.
The fly had entered our home by mistake. It was now stuck on the inside of the window looking out at where it should be. Any attempt to reach what was on the other side was blocked by the unseen barrier of the glass. The fly remained inside, next to that glass barrier, drawn by the sunshine just beyond its reach. When my hand came by to gently guide it outside, it went to great lengths to avoid it. Freedom was so close and my hand was the vehicle to obtain that freedom. Fear caused that fly to avoid its path to freedom.
How often are we just like that fly? We may gaze at the life we wish to live. Dreams seem to be on the other side of an invisible barrier. These dreams may be beautiful, but appear to be just beyond our reach.
It has never been God’s will for us to be in a position to be impeded by obstacles. He provides a path around all barriers and leads us into freedom. Jesus stated, “The sheep that are My own hear and are listening to My voice; and I know them, and they follow Me.” (John 10:27 AMP) We are the sheep Jesus refers to. He does not state that the sheep watch Him from behind glass but actively follow Him. Scripture also states, “And your ears will hear a word behind you, saying, This is the way; walk in it, when you turn to the right hand and when you turn to the left.” (Isaiah 30:21 AMP) Again this statement says to walk, not to watch. God has a good plan for each of His children. He wants us to be active participants and not trapped onlookers.  He calls us to walk with Him to fulfill that plan.
Many times we can be trapped behind barriers such as fear, self-doubt, laziness or host of other things that keep us from walking in God’s perfect plan. We may gaze longingly but not know how to get past the obstacles that prevent us from stepping into our roles. In all circumstances, God’s hand will guide us. King David knew this well and spoke of God’s presence regardless of where he could go; even to the deepest part of the sea. “Even there shall Your hand lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me.” (Psalm 139:10 AMP) David allowed the hand of God to lead him and did not resist. Fear did not cause him to shrink away, and we should not allow fear, or anything else, to cause us to flee from God’s leading hand. 
I had no ill will toward the fly. I just wanted it out of my house and into the fresh open air where it belonged. Likewise, God has only good for us.  He wants us out of the bondage that holds us back from doing and being all He intends. His desire is that we walk in His perfect will and reap the benefits of serving and ministering to Him with our entire being. Rather than running from God, this should be our constant prayer. “My whole being follows hard after You and clings closely to You; Your right hand upholds me.” (Psalm 63:8 AMP) The hand of God may be enormous and appear overwhelming. That huge hand contains a picture of us. “Behold, I have indelibly imprinted (tattooed a picture of) you on the palm of each of My hands;” (Isaiah 49:16a AMP) We have no cause to fear it, but should enthusiastically welcome its guidance. 

Do not stand behind any invisible barrier and look out at the full life God has planned for you. Allow His massive, yet gentle, hand guide you into all the things. Serve Him and enjoy contentment beyond anything you can know.                       

No comments:

Post a Comment