Monday, July 18, 2016

Primary Care Physician

A nasty fall onto concrete resulted a serious break in my leg. The fall occurred 550 miles away from home at a camp where I had been cooking. The great distance from my home with all of the doctors that I currently have a relationship with complicated the matter. Decisions concerning treatment that included surgery must consider the 8-hour drive home and follow up care after the trip. Critical decisions needed to be made on the first day centered around whether to transport me home to receive the required surgery in familiar surroundings or to have the surgery in Missouri and then transport me home. We opted for the latter option.
In all of the craziness of this turn of events, I needed the insight and counsel of my primary care physician. Although the medical professionals with whom I was speaking, primarily the orthopedic surgeon,
were very skilled and knowledgeable, I desperately needed the council of the doctor with whom I have had a relationship for years and have learned to trust through experience.
This relationship with my primary care physician has been established over time. He has been my doctor for more than 15 years, and during that time I have gotten to know and trust his character and ability as a doctor. Through illness, injury and surgery he has provided high quality care and wise courses of treatment.
Circumstances of life can happen at very inconvenient times and in inconvenient places. Through situations, we may be put into relationship with Christian teachers or brothers and sisters we would have otherwise never met. Although they may be very trustworthy and have everything we need at that moment, trust has not yet been built. We need to be desperate for the counsel of God at all times. This relationship is built on daily communication and the development of faith in His Word. The faithfulness of God’s Word and what we have experienced in the past lead to absolute trust in current situations.
Our heavenly Father is more than qualified to care for every aspect of our life. He knows every aspect of our lives. He knows and watches over our coming and going. “The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore.” (Psalm 121:8 AMP) He knows our every thought. “O Lord, you have searched me [thoroughly] and have known me. You know my downsitting and my uprising; You understand my thought afar off.” (Psalm 139:1-2 AMP) He even knows the number of hairs on our head. “But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.” (Matthew 10:30 AMP) And He cares for us far beyond even those who love us most.
In every decision of life, we must desperately seek His counsel. Men and women of wisdom will come into our lives for specific purposes. God remains constant throughout. “for He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let [you] down (relax My hold on you)! [Assuredly not!]” (Hebrews 13:5b AMP) Time, trust and togetherness build a firm relationship.
When we have built up a relationship of trust with our Lord, it becomes natural to desire His counsel before making any decisions. He alone knows everything that we need and sees the proper course of action. Following his directions will turn even negative situations into positive. “We are assured and know that [God being a partner in their labor] all things work together and are [fitting into a plan] for good to and for those who love God and are called according to [His] design and purpose.” (Romans 8:28 AMP)  
God created us and knows everything about us. “For You did form my inward parts; You did knit me together in my mother's womb.” (Psalm 139:13 AMP) The Almighty alone knows the perfect plan for our future. “For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and not for evil, to give you hope in your final outcome.” (Jeremiah 29:11 AMP) And following his wise plan will lead us to wholeness. “And I am convinced and sure of this very thing, that He Who began a good work in you will continue until the day of Jesus Christ [right up to the time of His return], developing [that good work] and perfecting and bringing it to full completion in you.” (Philippians 1:6 AMP)

Jesus has been called the great physician. Give Him the primary control of your life and be desperate for His wisdom in any decisions you make.

No comments:

Post a Comment