Monday, October 17, 2016

Safe in the Perfect Fort (12/16/13)

Watching as the snow falls outside, I ponder many childhood memories of past snowfalls. There are snow angels, snowmen, snowballs and those wonderful snow forts.  From the safety of a well-built snow fort you can build up an arsenal of white packed spheres and pummel your opponent with freshly made snowballs.  When they attempt to return fire, all you have to do is crouched behind the walls and you remain safe in your fort. 
The walls of our forts were not some thrown together buildup of snow. We carefully filled rectangular containers to form our bricks. The bricks were then layered in rows and build to a safe height. Not only was the structure sturdy and secure, but it looked quite intimidating as well. Here we could sit and plan our strategy. We could also pretend that we were in an igloo that was our home. The whole adventure was quite fun. 
Whether it is a cold snowy day in the park, a hot summer day in the backyard or a corner of the living room; children love to build forts. Forts come in all shapes and sizes. They can consist of a hard packed wall of snow, a tent, a tree house, or even a blanket draped over a card table. There is just something about that security of a tight, hidden spot, where the rest of the world is walled out. After a short time spent in the spot, returning to the big world seems just a bit less intimidating. 
Why do children like to play in forts so much? There are a number of reasons. First and foremost is the sense of security and safety the fort provides. But there’s a lot more to it. Forts are the most fun when shared with friends. Here, friends can share secrets. They can play and talk without anyone bothering them. But when the world seems cruel, that same fort can be a place to run to, to be alone and away from everything else.  It is a place one can call his/her own. 
I believe this desire for a fort is placed in our hearts by our Heavenly Father. He wants to be a hiding place and our impenetrable fortress.  He longs to be the one we run to. “Lord, you are my strength and fortress, should my refuge in the day of trouble.” (Jeremiah 16:19a NLT) In the many verses on this topic, there was a frequent occurrence of four words.  Refuge, stronghold, fortress and high tower are often found together. Other similar words also describe our Heavenly Father as our protector. All of these describe a safety that calms fears when we simply trust.  “The Lord is my Light and my Salvation—whom shall I fear or dread? The Lord is the Refuge and Stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?” (Psalm 27:1 AMP) 
I have always loved following passage. “He Who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty [Whose power no foe can withstand].  I will say of the Lord, He is my Refuge and my Fortress, my God; on Him I lean and rely, and in Him I [confidently] trust!” (Psalm 91:1-2 AMP) I can almost picture myself on the edge of a high cliff, shadowed by the massive presence God, God is quietly speaking with me. It’s a time of sharing those father/daughter kind of secrets. It’s always comforting, yet I know that scary things are going on all around us. I feel this way whenever I spend time alone with God. This, to me, carries the sense of two best friends sharing from the depths of their hearts in that safe place.  Only, one friend is much bigger and stronger. 
 I remember watching as my young son invited his daddy into his small, makeshift fort. It had been an oversized table cloth draped over our kitchen table. My six-foot five husband had a difficult time maneuvering his way into that small space. But there was such a joy as my son shared that secret hiding place with his dad. Though I had been invited in at other times, I knew that there was an unseen sign stating, “Private!  Keep out.”  This was father/son time. 

So when is the last time you have run to that secret place with the Father? When is the last time you invited him into your space?  He waits every day to meet with you there.  Today, let your heart cry be this. “Be to me a rock of refuge in which to dwell, and a sheltering stronghold to which I may continually resort, which You have appointed to save me, for You are my Rock and my Fortress.” (Psalm 71:3 AMP) Run to that safe place where you can talk, share secrets and even play for a while. It’s time for some Father/child time.


(Note: Todays weather in Southeastern WI was in the 70s and partly cloudy. No snow, but still a fort type of day.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment