Friday, February 7, 2014

Batting in the Big Leagues

There was a movie out some years ago about a child (12 years old) who gets to play major league baseball.  (Rookie of the Year - 1993)  The theme seems quite far-fetched, as it truly is.  The impressive ability that opens up a chance to play with the pros came from a strangely healed arm that allows this boy to pitch extremely fast.  Although he has a great ability to throw, he is in no way prepared for the life of an adult athlete in the professional baseball world.  The accident, causing the arm to break in the first place, was the result of inept play.  So he has not even developed this amazing ability by hard work and practice. 
Spiritual warfare can sometimes seem a bit like this to me.  I know full well that with Jesus Christ in me, I have everything I need to face this life.  “I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13 ESV)  “…the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.” (Colossians 1:27 ESV)  Yet still, even with this confidence, I sometimes experienced a bit of intimidation.  Even though I possess the power to overcome all things, I sometimes have doubted my tenacity to carry through.  Challenges that come against me sometimes seem too big. 
I then read a statement that there are far more references in the Bible to being “in Jesus Christ” than references to “Jesus Christ in us.”  This difference was stunning to me.  No longer did I have to look at the container of my body, soul and spirit and know Jesus was there.   I now can look to Jesus, who swallows me up in His immenseness. When I pray, I no longer feel that my prayers don’t go past the ceiling, because I am in Jesus, “who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.” (Romans 8:34b ESV)  What a prayer partner that is!  God has “raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,” (Ephesians 2:6 ESV)  So I actually pray from that same position.  God is not far away.  Even the Psalmist, who wrote before Jesus came to earth, recorded, “The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him sincerely and in truth.” (Psalm 145:18) 
So how does this relate to my baseball analogy?  Well, I envision myself coming up to bat every time I step out in faith.  If I see only myself facing the opportunities to minister or the trials of life, I am that little twelve year old coming up against well trained, grown men.  Although spiritual gifts, given to me by God, enable me to perform as needed, I am still small in comparison to the opponent I am facing.  I can relate to the Israelite spies who reported back to Moses, “… and we seemed to ourselves like grasshoppers, and so we seemed to them.” (Numbers 13:33 ESV)  Even though a grasshopper, with the anointing of the Holy Spirit, would have all it needed, I still trembled in my weakness.  (Moment of truth here - there were times I told God that I was not as strong as He seemed to think I was. Crazy?!  Yes, but looking at myself, even with Jesus, I felt this way.) 
Put on the “in Jesus Christ” image, and now I no longer envision myself at home plate.  I’m not even batting with Jesus standing behind me and placing His hands over mine.  I am literally in His body, which is the biggest, strongest, most intimidating batter the opposing team has ever faced.  And unlike ‘Mighty Casey” (Casey at the Bat by Ernest Thayer) Jesus will never strike out.  He is the one who overcomes all challenges.  I go through all the motions with Him, but He is fighting the fight and winning every time! 

So has God called you to step out in a new area that scares you, just a little?  Do your current life circumstances seem overwhelming?    Don’t see yourself battling these foes.  Don’t even view God as your helper.  Study passages on you identity in Christ.  Then look to your rightful position, and see yourself totally enveloped in the amazing massiveness of Jesus Christ.   

No comments:

Post a Comment