Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Is The Director in Your Ear?

I recently operated a camera for the weekend church services. My place on the tech team generally keeps me behind the scenes in the control room. This was only my third opportunity behind the camera over several months. I’m still a bit new at this. 
Although I wear a headset for whatever task I perform, having the director’s voice in my ear is more obvious while operating a camera. So much of the direction given is for the cameras.  In addition to cues directed to sound, lights and computer, the director will give both “ready” and “go” cues for the camera he intends to use next. It is very important to pay attention to your own cues and be ready to be used when the time comes. The most important words for me to listen for were “Camera 2” and whatever followed. 
The “ready” cue means that the director intends to use your shot shortly. The camera operator is to hold his selection still so that the director can put it on the screen without concern of movement. He has already judged placement and focus.  The shot should be ready and waiting. The director says “go” as he switches to your shot. By the time he says “go” it’s too late for last-minute adjustments.   As Christians we all have a role God’s major production. It is our job to do the best we can and find the best we can offer to God. Just like the five wise virgins who had extra oil for their lamps, (Matthew 25) we need to be ready when he calls for our piece, Only if we are prepared ahead can we be used as God intends. 
Hearing the phrase, “Ready camera 2” does not always mean my shot would be next. In one of the services I heard, “Ready camera 2, no the Scripture is next. Ready camera 2, great shot camera 3, hold that. Ready camera 3, go camera 3. Ready camera 2, no he’s walking out of the shot. Ready camera 1, go camera 1. Ready camera 2, go camera 2.”  It was almost comical by the end.  If my identity was in how many times my shots were used on the screen, I’d have been very frustrated.  Yet I was simply amused.  I know that the whole picture is more important than my little piece.  I enjoyed seeing camera 3, a new camera operator, get a good shot.  I also enjoy stepping back when God uses someone in a new way.  We must not be like those who, “compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding and behave unwisely.” (2 Corinthians 10:12b AMP) 
I made an error in the service caused by listening to the direction given to another camera. That camera was to go and pick up our guest speakers. My camera was live and on our pastor who was introducing and welcoming them. I looked over to the speakers and did not realize that our pastor was walking towards them, but my camera had not moved with him. If I had been paying attention to my job and my camera view, this would not have occurred. This happened in the third service. I had done this properly the first two times. But inattention still led to this problem. Often in our spiritual walks, we look to what God is doing in and through our brothers and sisters. By paying too much attention to what they are doing, we can miss what God wants to do in us. This looking to others can lead to envy and questioning of our own importance in God’s eyes.  Peter wanted to know the plans for John’s future.  “But Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved, following—the one who also had leaned back on His breast at the supper and had said, Lord, who is it that is going to betray You?   When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, Lord, what about this man?  Jesus response to Peter is good to remember. “Jesus said to him, If I want him to stay (survive, live) until I come, what is that to you? [What concern is it of yours?] You follow Me! (John 21:21-22, 23 AMP) We need only to follow Jesus. 
After this earlier mistake, I was not going to be caught off guard again.  I followed the speakers, even when I knew I would not be on screen for a time.  I operated in the same manner I would have if my camera had been live.  My goal is to live my life this way.  I want to live ‘ready’ all the time.  Along the way, I hope to encourage those around me. “For we are fellow workmen (joint promoters, laborers together) with and for God; you are God’s garden and vineyard and field under cultivation, [you are] God’s building.” (1 Corinthians 3:9 AMP)  I want to wait well. 

 So find the place God has for you today.  It may be something new or it may be continuing is a path long walked. Keep your ears on God, our director, and your eyes on the task ahead.  Concentrate on your role. And together with your brothers and sisters in Christ, you will enhance the beautiful plan God has for this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment