Friday, February 14, 2014

God’s Valentine

Searching for that perfect Valentine for my husband, I could not find anything that was good enough. We do not exchange expensive gifts, but I always want to find something that is unique to him.  I try to get my creative ideas early.  This year nothing stood out. I carefully listened for an off-hand comment that would inspire me, but David did not give any direction to my thoughts this year.
It was easy to find gifts for my son and for my two dogs.  They were token gift and did not need to express my love to my true Valentine. I found a great card for Jon.   It captured the close relationship we share.  The dogs love anything that goes in the mouth.  Giant chew sticks were an easy gift.
Sometimes I feel this way with God. I can do things for others and also for Him, but I do not feel that I have found an adequate way to express my love to Him.  It is good to do acts of service. I should not discontinue them, but I need also to find ways to express my feelings to my Heavenly Father. Doing things for someone shows real love, yet heartfelt expression must be verbalized at times.
Part of the reason it is so important for me to find a creative gift for David is that he does so many creative things for me.  One year he created clues that were puzzles in themselves. I put together each puzzle to find a hint to the location of the next clue and finally to find the gift. David did this because he knows I love puzzles. It was uniquely special to me.  So each year I try to find something that will be uniquely suited my husband’s personality.
God has shown his love to us in so many ways.  “But God shows and clearly proves His [own] love for us by the fact that while we were still sinners, Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One) died for us. (Romans 5:8 AMP)  This is true love that was given freely.  He knows exactly what we desire and need.  He shows His love to each of us in unique ways.
Other traditional Valentine’s gifts include candy, flowers and dinners out.  O taste and see that the Lord [our God] is good! Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) is the man who trusts and takes refuge in Him.”(Psalm 34:8 AMP)  Jesus is referred to as the Rose of Sharon and the Lily of the Valley.  And we are invited to the greatest meal of all!  “Then [the angel] said to me, Write this down: Blessed (happy, to be envied) are those who are summoned (invited, called) to the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he said to me [further], These are the true words (the genuine and exact declarations) of God.(Revelation 19:9 AMP)  Is there any better gift giver than God?
God takes into consideration are heart desires and wants to spend time with us. So we can give ourselves to God today by giving Him some of our time. We can even ask Him what he would like. God desires for us to spend time with Him in prayer, both talking to Him and listening to the impressions of the Holy Spirit on our hearts. He loves for us to spend time reading the Scriptures. We can laugh with God; cry with God, and share our deepest secrets with Him. We are His Valentine! He loves us very much and desires time with us
In the end I found a card that really expressed my heart to David.  I also found a unique heart-shaped balloon.  It was a Mylar, tube balloon, shaped into a heart that said, “I love you!” I also gave David the tiny gift and a note that expressed how much I enjoy spending time with him. I included an invitation to go together to look for something little that He would like.

So, today and every day, let God know that you want to spend time with Him.  Relish the love He expresses to you.  And give Him your time and attention to how you can express your love back to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment