Monday, July 21, 2014

Glad to Wear a Seat Belt

Many years ago, while stopped in a construction zone, I was hit from behind by another vehicle. The force with which I was jolted back by the seat belt was so great that my glasses flew off and landed in the trunk portion of my hatchback. Bruising was evident where the seat belt contacted my shoulder. This bruising left a faint outline down the path where the seatbelt crossed my body.
After this incident I became very pro-seat belts. Realizing the force that caused these injuries, I felt very blessed that I had not experienced something far worse than pain and surface bruises. I had struck the steering wheel, but I am sure I would have catapulted over it and through the windshield if not restrained. The possible injuries could have been extremely serious.
Prior to the enactment of a law requiring seat belts I had never used one. I did not see the real value of the restraint. They were uncomfortable and I did not want to wrinkle my clothing. When the law was instated, I complied and began wearing the seat belt as dictated. I still did not truly realize the value of seat belts, but I wanted to do what was right by following the law.
Sometimes we may not understand the precepts in God’s Word. We may not truly understand the reasons or value of forgiveness, total honesty, loving others and many other of the commands found in Scripture. These may seem to merely be uncomfortable restraints on our behavior. It is extremely valuable to learn to be obedient, simply because God chose to put these things in the Bible. If He tells us to do, or not do, something it is always for our benefit. With this in mind, we can show our love and obey the precepts even if God does not choose to share His reasoning with us.
As a child learns to obey the house rules, so should we obey God’s laws. As the child grows, he or she begins to understand the benefit and reasoning behind the rules. The same can be true as we grow in our walk of faith.  Speaking to His disciples, Jesus said, “You are My friends if you keep on doing the things which I command you to do. I do not call you servants (slaves) any longer, for the servant does not know what his master is doing (working out). But I have called you My friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from My Father. [I have revealed to you everything that I have learned from Him.]” (John 15:14-15 AMP)  Obedience to the commands of God was a prerequisite to this friendship. This friendship then brought the sharing of God’s plans to the disciples. They did not wait until they understood everything to follow what Jesus directed them to do. Their initial obedience brought great blessings as they began to understand the plans Jesus revealed.
We will be blessed to do as the disciples did. When we first read a directive of God, we should put it into practice in our lives even if the purpose is not entirely clear. We can simply obey because God said so. As we walk in obedience and continue to study the Word of God, we will begin to understand His benefits. We will begin to see that offering forgiveness and grace, refusing to judge others and looking for ways to bless and not curse are all things God has commanded we do to bring freedom to our lives. Although others are blessed through our actions, the freedom we experience is far greater than anything we give.
Looking back at the collision, I’m so grateful that I began wearing a seat belt simply out of obedience to the law of the land. Although I did not fully understand it, nor did I like it, I still buckled that seat belt when entering the car because it was the right thing to do. Had I refused to be obedient until I understood the need, it would have been too late. I would have come to understand that need only after I had gone through the windshield of my car. In the same way, living a life of obedience to God will prepare us for when a trial comes.
There are promises of blessings for obedience to God’s Word.  “But He said, Blessed (happy and to be envied) rather are those who hear the Word of God and obey and practice it!”  (Luke 11:28 AMP)  The apostle James cautions against listening only and then relays the blessing of doing what God’s Word says.  “But he who looks carefully into the faultless law, the [law] of liberty, and is faithful to it and perseveres in looking into it, being not a heedless listener who forgets but an active doer [who obeys], he shall be blessed in his doing (his life of obedience).”  (James 1:25AMP)  Creating a habit of obedience invites these blessings.

So as you hear or read God’s Word, be quick to do and obey all that He says. Your habit of obedience will prepare you and keep you from future harm and you will find yourself becoming very pro-God’s restraint.

No comments:

Post a Comment