Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Treating a Low Faith Level

A problem that someone who has diabetes encounters is blood sugar fluctuations.  One morning recently, I woke up with the symptoms of low blood sugar. I felt weak and shaky as I went to get my blood test monitor and checked the level. The number that was displayed on the monitor screen confirmed that my blood sugar was considerably below the normal level. I quickly treated this by eating a fruit strip that provides a fast acting form of sugar. 
Although I ingested the sugar required to counter the low, the symptoms did not immediately disappear. It generally takes about 15 minutes before the body feels relief from the effects of low blood sugar. The effects include shakiness, extreme weakness, and blurred vision. The physical feelings associated with extreme dread can also be a part of this. Together these leave one feeling totally drained. 
I returned to bed to recover from the aftermath of this low and drifted back to sleep. When I awoke 30 minutes later, I felt almost paralyzed. Although I knew that the condition has been treated and that my body had returned to a normal sugar level, I still felt too drained to even attempt to get out of bed.  With great effort I turned over and forced myself to get up.  It was only then that I began to feel normal again. It was as if I had recovered from the low but was stuck in the memory of the sensations associated with it. Until I forced myself to move, I did not break free of them. 
As I lie in bed feeling stuck, the phrase ‘paralyzed by fear’ crossed my mind. Allowing fear to enter over lives can have a similar effect on us and be devastating. It can cause us to feel unable to move forward into the things God has planned for us.  That is why throughout scripture the Lord continuously encourages us to fear not.  Instead we have this promise.  “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control.” (2 Timothy 1:7 AMP)  
Just as I had to take an appropriate amount of a sugar source to correct this low blood sugar level, so we must build faith and strengthen our spiritual bodies by taking in the Word of God.  “So faith comes by hearing [what is told], and what is heard comes by the preaching [of the message that came from the lips] of Christ (the Messiah Himself).” (Romans 10:17 AMP)  Reading and quoting Scriptures that apply to our situation will build faith that overcomes fear.  Listening to Biblical teaching also provides needed strength. 
The amount of the Word necessary to return our bodies to the balance of faith may be determined by how low the fear has taken you. Because I was asleep when my sugar was dropping, I did not notice the symptoms as quickly as I would have if I have been awake and alert. We, likewise, can slip further from faith if we allow ourselves to become spiritually asleep. We must be careful to remain alert.  Scripture encourages us to, “… be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour.” (1 Peter 5:8 AMP) 
When I am awake and alert I recognize symptoms of low blood sugar far sooner. I check level, treat it and can usually return to a normal with very little ill effects. When we stay continually in tune with the Spirit of God, we can catch fear at its onset and replace it with faith by quoting Scriptures.  We are told to meditate on the Word. “This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good success.” (Joshua 1:8 AMP) We are also told to continually offer praise. “Through Him, therefore, let us constantly and at all times offer up to God a sacrifice of praise, which is the fruit of lips that thankfully acknowledge and confess and glorify His name.” (Hebrews 13:15 AMP)  Following these practices will make it very difficult for fear to get too strong of a hold and throw us too far off balance, having the paralyzing effect that hinders so many. 
Stay alert and full of the Word of God today.  Catch fear as it first attempts to grip you and let faith keep moving you forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment