Monday, July 7, 2014

Hidden Too Well

Have you ever had something important that you did not want to lose, so you put it away in a very special spot?  Then, when the time arrives to retrieve the item, you cannot remember where you hid it.  You have done such a good job of hiding the item in a place where others would not find it, that now you cannot find it either.  I have done this many times.  It is especially irritating when this happens with a perfect birthday present that was purchased months in advance.  I can remember several episodes of frantic searches occurring on the day prior to a special occasion that I do not want ruined by a missing gift.
Other times I have hidden items then forgotten that I even had them.  Finding these can bring mixed reactions.  If I have purchased a duplicate item to fill a need, I may become frustrated at the unnecessary inconvenience and expense caused by my memory relapse.  Other times surprise finds can be like receiving a gift.  I recently came upon a container of dates which I use for baking.  My husband and I had been doing a short run on a limited eating plan that did not include these sweet treasures.  To limit temptation, I had hidden them in a cabinet behind some serving bowls.  We finished the restricted eating plan, but I had completely forgotten about the dates in the cabinet.  Several weeks later I found them and was pleased to enjoy one andadd them back into my baking supplies.
Does this also occur with the word of God?  In discussing how a young man can stay pure King David states, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” (Psalm 119:11 NLT)  Hiding the word in your heart is a very good thing. But can we forget that word once we have hidden it? I believe that we can. If we cease to continue studying, we may forget what was once important to us.
Scriptures can jump off the page and have a great meaning as we read them. This new understanding, given by the Holy Spirit, may be important and at the forefront of our thoughts for many days. Over weeks, months and years, this great word from God may get lost. We can forget His truth until one day we reread that Scripture (which may even be highlighted) and once again we are reminded of the truth shown to us so long ago.
How can we avoid this forgetfulness from occurring? David’s instructions to hide the word are a part of an entire passage that was meant to be read all together. (See Psalm 119:9-16)  Other principals taught in these verses will help us avoid forgetting that which we have hidden. In verses 12 through 16, David goes on to give  instructions that include praising God, listening to His teaching, reciting the word, rejoicing, studying, reflecting, delighting in, and finally, not forgetting God’s word. Diligence in these will prevent forgetfulness.
We cannot simply read a passage one time, think about it for a day or two and file it away. The word of God must not only be hidden in our hearts, but it must be living in our hearts. “The word of God is alive and powerful…” (Hebrews 4:12a NLT)  When we hide His word in our hearts, we must continue in that word for it to be alive.  A verse that I memorized 30 years ago is lost to me, unless I have continued to thank God for His promise, continued to consider it and allowed it to become a part of me.
We can be joyful when we relearn a truth that has long been hidden inside.  It is so much better to keep revisiting the truths we have learned and keep them from being buried so deep that we forget their value. “Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. (Colossians 3:16 NLT)  We are wise to not only keep the word alive in us, but also share it with others.  Then it will always remain fresh.

As you go about your day, consider some of what God has taught you that you may not have thought about for a long time.  Allow Him to dig it out of its hiding place and become real to you again.  Then share it with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment