Monday, August 11, 2014

Is That Really What He Said?

When writing these stories I frequently use a voice-activated software. My typing skills are adequate, but I can speak my thoughts significantly faster than I can type them. What I dictate into the microphone is sometimes quite different than what appears on the page in front of me. And if I use the voice app on my phone, the mistakes increase. If I were ever to post one of these stories without significant editing and revision, the reader would become quite confused as to what I am actually talking about. 
Sometimes we can be like the software that I use. God speaks His will to us through the Scriptures and through the Holy Spirit. He always says what He means and means what He says. But the way that we interpret what He has said is not always completely accurate. We may be responding to what we believe He has said, and totally miss what He is really trying to show us. This can be compounded when sharing God’s word with others. If we have not heard or understood accurately, those same errors can be passed on.
 The software I use contains features to limit the amount of mistakes encountered. Initially one must set up a user profile by reading a selected story. Upon opening the program each time, I must choose between my profile and my husband’s profile. The program can differentiate between my articulations of words compared to my husband’s pronunciation. In addition to the profile set up, the program studies my writing and updates not only the quality of my voice but some of the terminology and phrases I am likely to use. All of these increase the accuracy of what I am saying. In spite of this I must carefully watch over what is written and compare it to my actual thoughts and intents. 
Sometimes the mistakes that occur are between words that have very similar sounds. An example of this would be that ‘leads’ could be written as ‘least.’ When I am speaking quickly this occurs more often than if I am speaking slowly and concentrating on enunciation.  A few examples of other misspeaks include; business/his next, he saw/ the software, already got/Almighty God, and like ice / likewise.  As you can see, substituting the former for the latter in any of these examples would completely confuse the thought being conveyed. 
There are things we can do to minimize our misunderstanding of God. We must first come into a relationship with Him through belief in Jesus Christ. This gives us the status of son or daughter. We will quickly know and trust the voice of our Father.  Through frequent contact we can learn the sound of God’s voice and His character.  Both of these are made evident in Scripture. Knowing that He speaks from a heart of love and grace we can differentiate His correction from condemnation. Knowing that His nature is unchanging we can understand that what He has expected from previous generations He will also expect from us. There are so many nuances of His character that are learned by repeated contact through the word and prayer. 
We can take courage knowing that God does not speak once and leave us on our own to figure out what He means.   “…for I am alert and active, watching over My word to perform it.” (Jeremiah 1:12 AMP)   Just as I edit what I have spoken to be sure it accurately conveys my thoughts to the reader, God clarifies His commands.  Throughout Scripture the prophets repeated the same messages from God to the people.  Some hearers listened and changed, others never did obey God.  In both cases He made His word clear.  Casting doubt on whether God truly means what He says began in Eden.  “…And he [Satan] said to the woman, Can it really be that God has said, You shall not eat from every tree of the garden?” (Genesis 3:1 AMP) God meant what He said concerning not eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.  Consequences ensued.  He still means what He says to us today.  “Surely God didn’t mean that” is still a lie we must not fall for. 
If the program has not understood what I have said, it will respond with “please say that again.” We likewise need to ask God for clarification when we are unsure of what He is trying to teach us. He will be more than happy to restate His desires. Sometimes the software will also respond “please say that again” when I am taking too long to compose my next thought. It is waiting for my next statement. We also can repeatedly ask that question we do not feel God is responding quickly enough. Patiently listening is essential, for His next words will be exactly what we need to hear. 
Occasionally I will begin talking and there will be no typing. If I glance at the microphone icon, I may find the program has gone to sleep. I then have to say “wake up” in order for the program to continue. I think we have all had times when God is firmly saying “wake up” to us. (I know I sure have.)  “Therefore He says, Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall shine (make day dawn) upon you and give you light.” (Ephesians 5:14 AMP)
My desire for these stories is that the message is clear and inspiring.  God’s desire is for His children to hear and know His voice and His will.  To insure this He sent His Son, Jesus, to live among men.  Jesus was the perfect way to clearly show God to us.  “… Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father. How can you say then, Show us the Father?” (John 14:9AMP)  Jesus also said, “The sheep that are My own hear and are listening to My voice; and I know them, and they follow Me.” (John 10:27 AMP) 
God speaks to us daily.  He longs for us to hear and obey.  He also longs to bless.  

Listen closely to the Father, today and every day.  Speak to Him and ask if you are hearing accurately.  Continually fine tune your hearing and let God fine tune your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment