Friday, January 16, 2015

Interruptions In the Plan

I received a call from my son one morning. He had hurt his foot the previous day and had a doctor’s note that he needed to bring to work. The note stated that he should stay off of his foot for several days. This would require some accommodation from his employer and modification to his job. The company was willing to do what was necessary, but only with the doctor's note. Unfortunately the note had fallen out of his pocket before he left for work that morning. He needed me to bring the note to him.
At first the company had said that the next day would be fine to bring it in. So I went about my day as I had originally planned. Then the HR representative said that the letter would have to be brought in immediately. This was when I began to look for where the letter had been dropped. It took me a little time to find the note. After some searching, which took time, I finally found it. And then I needed to leave my home and my plans for catching up on housework and writing to take this letter to his workplace.
At first the events were a little bit frustrating. I was available to help Jon because I was off work from one of my jobs today. I had set up an entire schedule of what to do with this time. Then I thought about what was really important to me. Although running this letter down to his workplace would cause me to change my plans and possibly not get done as much as I would like to, what really mattered was my son. I sent him a text to let him know this was how I felt. My sons well being was far more important to me than anything else on my schedule. I did not want him to feel he was causing trouble by this inconvenience.

What is more important to us than anything else? Do we love God enough to let Him change our plans? If He asks us to do something at an inopportune time, do we whine or grumble?   Jesus spoke these words to His followers. “And you shall love the Lord your God out of and with your whole heart and out of and with all your soul (your life) and out of and with all your mind (with your faculty of thought and your moral understanding) and out of and with all your strength. This is the first and principal commandment. The second is like it and is this, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these. (Mark 12:30-31 AMP) In these circumstances this could include all our schedules. If we truly love God, we will happily allow Him to interrupt our plans. We will willingly respond when He presents a need to us.
Letter in hand, I put on my coat to head to the car and a scripture came to mind. “A man’s mind plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps and makes them sure.” (Proverbs 16:9 AMP)  We can go about our walk with God listening to the Holy Spirit and doing what we believe He has led us to do. Sometimes we think we have the whole thing figured out in our minds. We are sure we know exactly what God is doing in our lives and how He will do it. With great intentions we have created our spiritual schedule. Then something comes in and throws everything out of time.
God has His own plans for us.  “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, says the Lord.” (Isaiah 55:8 AMP) We must plan out our day, but always be open to a change.  If an opportunity to serve someone presents itself we must be ready to respond. God has the best plan and timing for everything that we do. We need to be ready to move as things change. God knows about the schedule, but He also knows what is best. When we follow His lead, everything works out for the best. He has made everything beautiful in its time. (Ecclesiastes 3:11a AMP)
Do not allow plans or schedules get in the way of truly loving God. Remember what is really important! Love and serve God by allowing Him to change things up as He pleases and He will make your steps sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment