Monday, June 22, 2015

Jonathan’s Mom

I recently ran into a young woman and her family. We had been very close to this woman and her husband through their engagement in the early years of their marriage. Shortly after their first child was born, our lives went in different directions. Although we have stayed in touch we do not see each other very often. She now has three children. This was actually the first time I had met her son, although I had seen numerous pictures of and heard many stories of him on Facebook. The girls have grown considerably since last time I had seen them. It was wonderful to catch up with this family even if only for a brief time.
As we spoke of how much the girls had grown in the years that have passed, one of the girls asked me who I was. I told her my name was Kathi and that I had not seen her since she was much smaller. Her mother began to explain that at one time we had been close friends, seeing each other all the time. As she searched to find an association that could help Harmony understand who I was, she thought of my son Jonathan.
Jonathan has remained more active in this family’s life over the last few years. At one time, when the girls were young, he was a frequent babysitter. (I understand that he had the reputation of being the fun babysitter.) As he has gotten older and taken on more job related commitments, he does not see them as much but will still get together with the kids. As soon as Lindsey told her children that I was Jonathan’s mom, eyes lit up. I suddenly had elite status because I was associated with Jonathan whom they dearly love.
Thinking about this encounter and sharing it with my husband later, I remembered that my first meeting with Lindsey had been 13 years earlier. Her first comment when we met was, “Oh, you’re Jonathan’s mom and dad!” Even at the age of 10, Jonathan made quite an impression on everyone that he met. Lindsey’s statement was a comment that we frequently heard from people who had the pleasure of meeting our son before meeting us.
When people search for an association that concerns us, do they make it with Jesus? Are we described by our relationship to our Savior? By the way we live our lives, people should know that we belong to Jesus Christ.
We can be known as a friend of Jesus. Friends like to spend time with each other and frequently talk about each other to others. After spending much time with his disciples, Jesus called them friends. “I do not call you servants (slaves) any longer, for the servant does not know what his master is doing (working out). But I have called you My friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from My Father. [I have revealed to you everything that I have learned from Him.]” (John 15:15 AMP) As we spend time following and serving Him we will also be His friends.
Friendship comes after following. From the early times in His ministry, many followed Jesus. “When Jesus came down from the mountain, great throngs followed Him.” (Matthew 8:1 AMP) Similar statements occur throughout the Gospels. Many came looking to see miracles and others followed after receiving them. “And Jesus said to him, Receive your sight! Your faith (your trust and confidence that spring from your faith in God) has healed you. And instantly he received his sight and began to follow Jesus, recognizing, praising, and honoring God; and all the people, when they saw it, praised God.” (Luke 18:42-43 AMP)
A true follower of Jesus Christ is set apart from the crowds by willingness to serve. “And He said to all, If any person wills to come after Me, let him deny himself [disown himself, forget, lose sight of himself and his own interests, refuse and give up himself] and take up his cross daily and follow Me [cleave steadfastly to Me, conform wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying also].” (Luke 9:23 AMP) Adhering to all of the teachings of Jesus and living and other centered life caused many of the crowds to turn back.
Those who remained truly loved Jesus. They clung on every word that He said and wanted nothing more than to help Him advance His kingdom. Those who truly love Jesus also want to know the Father, whom Jesus dearly loved. When we love someone we speak highly of them. This is true of our love for God also. “Bless (affectionately, gratefully praise) the Lord, O my soul; and all that is [deepest] within me, bless His holy name! Bless (affectionately, gratefully praise) the Lord, O my soul, and forget not [one of] all His benefits.” (Psalm 103:1-2 AMP) Others will know that we are a lover of Jesus by how we relate to Him and speak about Him.
Are we known as servants of Jesus? The apostle Paul was not ashamed to identify himself as a servant. “From Paul, a bond servant of Jesus Christ (the Messiah) called to be an apostle, (a special messenger) set apart to [preach] the Gospel (good news) of and from God,” (Romans 1:1 AMP) He not only identified himself as such, but encouraged us to imitate him. “Pattern yourselves after me [follow my example], as I imitate and follow Christ (the Messiah).” (1 Corinthians 11:1 AMP) Many have done so. “And you [set yourselves to] become imitators of us and [through us] of the Lord Himself, for you welcomed our message in [spite of] much persecution, with joy [inspired] by the Holy Spirit;” (1 Thessalonians 1:6 AMP)
Friend, follower, lover, servant; all our titles we can bear proudly when they refer to Jesus Christ. We ought to live a life that will cause other people to identify us with Jesus Christ. “And whatever you do [no matter what it is] in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus and in [dependence upon] His Person, giving praise to God the Father through Him.” Colossians 3:17 (AMP)
 Who will you be associated with today? Wear your title well.

No comments:

Post a Comment