Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Waiting for the Call

I have recently taken on a new part time job. When I interviewed a few weeks back, I received a preliminary offer from the company with which I will be working. The interview process went quite quickly as I filled out an application, interviewed, took a test and received a conditional offer. I was given the pre-employment drug test right there on the spot. I also filled out the paperwork for the required background check on which my higher was contingent. The next day I received a confirmation email confirming the conditional job offer.
In the following days I continued on with my regular activities while awaiting the background check results. I also made arrangements to complete some tasks to free up the time that I will be working. And then I waited for the call to start. It seemed that the waiting was taking longer than expected. I had no choice but to patiently await contact from my new employer.
Then the email came. I was given a password to open and fill out necessary paperwork to finalize my hire by this company. I filled out all of the paperwork and again had to wait for a call from my new manager. Although the entire process took only a couple weeks it seems like waiting filled the majority of that time. Then the call came. I did not recognize the number of that incoming call on my caller ID. I generally do not answer these calls, but anticipating this one special call I chose to do so. When my new manager identified himself my response was, “I had hoped to hear from you today.”
God has called each of us to impact our world in both large and small ways. Sometimes we may feel that we have an idea of what God has called us to do. We can get very excited and wish that we could just jump in and begin walking in that call. Too often it does not work out that simply. We may find ourselves hungry to bound forward, but the Lord has some work to do both within us and in circumstances around us. Thus the wait begins.
Because we do not see the evidence of God’s work in our lives, does not mean that it is not there. We continue our daily lives in faith believing that His work is going on. “Now faith is the assurance (the confirmation, the title deed) of the things [we] hope for, being the proof of things [we] do not see and the conviction of their reality [faith perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses].” (Hebrews 11:1 AMP) We know that there is an eternal purpose always at work in our lives. “Since we consider and look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen; for the things that are visible are temporal (brief and fleeting), but the things that are invisible are deathless and everlasting.”  (2 Corinthians 4:18 AMP)
Jesus spoke of this eternal purpose. “And He said, The kingdom of God is like a man who scatters seed upon the ground, And then continues sleeping and rising night and day while the seed sprouts and grows and increases—he knows not how. The earth produces [acting] by itself—first the blade, then the ear, then the full grain in the ear. But when the grain is ripe and permits, immediately he sends forth [the reapers] and puts in the sickle, because the harvest stands ready.” (Mark 4:26-29 AMP) Jesus also commanded that we look to unseen kingdom this at all times. “But seek (aim at and strive after) first of all His kingdom and His righteousness (His way of doing and being right), and then all these things taken together will be given you besides. So do not worry or be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will have worries and anxieties of its own.” (Matthew 6:33-34a AMP) God is working and will provide everything we need to perform His will at just the right time. We simply trust and prepare with whatever we know to do. “Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding. In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6 AMP)
As the plan begins to become clear, we follow each step as it presents itself. “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might....” (Ecclesiastes 9:10a AMP) Little by little the Lord will show us the directions to move. What has been secret will become clear and we can follow this clear path. “The secret things belong unto the Lord our God, but the things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all of the words of this law.” (Deuteronomy 29:29 AMP) There is purpose in everything the Father reveals to us. Whatever stage we are at we can follow these principles. We do not want to become impatient and move forward in our own wisdom or strength. “Be still and rest in the Lord; wait for Him and patiently lean yourself upon Him…” (Psalm 37:7a AMP) In God’s time we will move into a new labor for Him.
So take each step at a time as you follow God’s plan. When His call comes, respond with, “I had hoped to hear from you today.” It will be the beginning of a new adventure with the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment