Friday, December 11, 2015

Close and Comfortable

This morning I made my way to my favorite corner of the couch with the prayer cards I had recently written out. With a cup of hot coffee and the space heater at my feet, I sat down to spend some time with the Lord. I had barely been seated when both my dogs came running. Beamer pushed his way right up next to me and curled in close. His entire back was nestled against my side and his head lay on my knee. He intended to spend some time with me.
Not begging for food, not wanting to go outside or have me retrieve a toy for him, Beamer simply wanted to spend time in my presence. He was not taking “no” for an answer. He pushed his way in and settled down before I had an opportunity to pick up a laptop and take away any of what he had now considered to be his space. And I loved it. I did not feel imposed upon or irritated in any way. My heart was warmed by the fact that one of my dogs wanted to spend time with me and boldly let me know. My natural response was to reach over and both pet and scratch his neck as I knew he loved.
Kari came and joined us. She was just a little beyond Beamer and within reach of my hand so that I could extend it and pet her as well. It was peaceful, joyful time in my den that morning. Both of my animals had chosen simply to lay on the couch within a comfortable nearness of my presence. These dogs have a confidence in this closeness because they know me. After the years of living in our home both dogs are aware that, despite any bad behaviors or past messes they have caused, I love time together with them. Their confidence comes by knowing me.
Interesting enough, I was doing the same thing with my Heavenly Father. As I sat down on their couch with prayer cards in hand, I was confidently and securely coming to spend time with the Lord. In Scripture we have been extended an invitation to do just this. “Let us then fearlessly and confidently and boldly draw near to the throne of grace (the throne of God's unmerited favor to us sinners), that we may receive mercy [for our failures] and find grace to help in good time for every need [appropriate help and well-timed help, coming just when we need it].” (Hebrews 4:16 AMP) The pressures of life and our own weaknesses cause us to need that mercy and grace on a moment by moment basis. We can come to God at any time and He will hear us. There is something special about daily taking time simply to soak in His mercy and love. “It is because of the Lord's mercy and loving-kindness that we are not consumed, because His [tender] compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great and abundant is Your stability and faithfulness.” (Lamentations 3:22-23 AMP)
God is not only pleased, but elated when we come to hang out with Him. Even if we have not been perfect in all we do (or even close to good) the Lord is eager for us to come close. We can acknowledge our sinful state and also realize that forgiveness, peace and joy come in God’s presence. “Come close to God and He will come close to you. [Recognize that you are] sinners, get your soiled hands clean; [realize that you have been disloyal] wavering individuals with divided interests, and purify your hearts [of your spiritual adultery].” (James 4:8 AMP) God’s nature is love and he is eager to forgive all that we may have done. He is our loving Father and we are His beloved children. “For [the Spirit which] you have now received [is] not a spirit of slavery to put you once more in bondage to fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption [the Spirit producing sonship] in [the bliss of] which we cry, Abba (Father)! Father!” (Romans 8:15 AMP)
When we are weak or overwhelmed, we are also invited to come. “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.]” (Matthew 11:28 AMP) We can find true rest in God’s presence. As we savor this closeness we not only find contentment but also direction for what is to come. “You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy, at Your right hand there are pleasures forevermore.” (Psalm 16:11 AMP) We can then carry the joy of the presence of the Lord with us as we go about our daily activities.

Take a little bit of time to boldly press into and rest in God’s presence every day! Here you will find times of refreshing, rest and true joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment