Monday, December 7, 2015

Unblock the Flow

Recently, I encountered a problem with my insulin pump set up that could have resulted in serious repercussions. For some reason the insulin was not getting into my body and my blood sugar spiked to an unsafe level. Prior to breakfast, I had checked the blood sugar level and taken the appropriate amount of insulin before eating and heading off into my day. As the morning progressed I began to feel the symptoms of high blood sugar. Before I had an opportunity to check the level of sugar in my blood, I did a visual inspection to ensure that the pump was properly connected to my body. Everything appeared to be normal and the insulin should have been flowing normally. But when I obtained my monitor and checked my blood, the sugar level had risen to the beginnings of a dangerous level. It was imperative that I get the proper insulin dosage to bring the sugar down. Rising any further, the amount of sugar in my blood would begin to have some severe symptoms.
After checking the sugar level, I did a more serious check of the site where the insulin enters my body from the pump’s tubing. Although the connector piece appeared to be properly in place, I discovered that it had been just a tiny bit off from the secured position. I moved this piece the slightest bit and felt it lock in place. That tiniest bit of being off had been just enough to prevent the flow of insulin from my pump into my body. A few hours of this flow being blocked had been enough time to raise the sugar to potentially dangerous levels. Finding and correcting the problem, I immediately took enough insulin to bring the sugar back into a healthy range. Within a few hours everything had returned to normal.
Have you ever been at a place in your spiritual life where you just sense the things were off in your relationship with God? With just a cursory look at our lives, everything can appear to be right. Yet something seems to be wrong in the closeness we have experienced with God. If we do not take a step beyond a peripheral glance at our spiritual lives, we may believe that everything is fine. As time goes on we will notice that what was once a little off will become more and more pronounced. We will feel the negative effects of the missing flow of God’s word and power into our lives. First we may feel dry. Our prayers seem to be unheard and the voice of God’s wisdom appears farther and farther away.
As soon as we sense something is off, it is time to take a closer look at the condition of our hearts. There may be no obvious sin in our lives. This is the time to totally open up and ask the Lord to reveal any subtle sin that we are not aware of. “Search me [thoroughly], O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there is any wicked or hurtful way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 139:23-24 AMP) The sin that may be lurking in our hearts could be a small jealousy, unforgiveness or a bad attitude that we are not even aware we are harboring. We may have spoken and unkind word that was not harsh but neither was it beneficial. Whatever the sin, God will reveal it to us.
It is imperative to seek to know the true condition in our hearts because, “If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me;” (Psalm 66:18 AMP) We must search for even the smallest blockage to the flow of our two-way relationship with God. If we continue to ignore the signs of a break in our relationship with God, things will continually get worse for us. Our hearts may become cold and distant. This soul sickness can escalate to where it hinders every part of our lives.
God longs to have a free and unhindered relationship with each of His children. He will point out our error and will often (especially when others are involved in the matter) show us how to make things right. Once God has pointed out the problem, we must confess our sin and obey as He instructs us. He will forgive! “If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just (true to His own nature and promises) and will forgive our sins [dismiss our lawlessness] and [continuously] cleanse us from all unrighteousness [everything not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought, and action].” (1 John 1:9 AMP)
When we confess our sin and obey the Lord’s leading, we will again open the flow of communication and power between God and ourselves. When I corrected the connection problem on the pump site and initiated a new dose of insulin the flow of life-saving medicine immediately entered my body and reversed the problems that had been escalating. God’s love and forgiveness flowing into our hearts will restore and make us whole. “He refreshes and restores my life (my self); He leads me in the paths of righteousness [uprightness and right standing with Him—not for my earning it, but] for His name's sake.” (Psalm 23:3 AMP)

If anything seems out of place in your relationship with the Lord, ask Him to show you what may be blocking the flow of all He desires to pour into you. Be quick to listen, confess and obey. Unblock the floodgates of all God has for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment