Monday, December 21, 2015

Preparation for Christmas: A Family Affair

Decorating for Christmas is something I absolutely love to do. From a Christmas village, to garland strung around the house, to my two beautiful nativity scenes, to the Christmas tree in my front window; I love it all! The inside of the house is usually my domain and I either do the decorating myself or give directions to those who helped me. This year I received a lot of help from my family. My son Jon and his girlfriend, Katie, decorated the Christmas tree and put up several of our fun, Christmas display items. My husband arranged many of the characters in the two parks of my Christmas village. I arranged the garlands, stockings and my two nativity displays. The decoration of our home has taken on the flavor of our entire family this year.
Cookie making and gift wrapping have also been a group effort. Jon and Katie have helped out with both. Although I prepared the dough, they selected the cookie cutters, cut out and baked the gingerbread. (We don’t limit this cookie to gingerbread man only.) It was wonderful having assistance wrapping and labeling gifts for others.
Many things have been done a little bit differently than I would have done them myself. As I look around at the subtle differences from years past, I am grateful for the new flavor of our holiday home. My way of decorating the tree, wrapping gifts or cutting out cookies, is by no means the only way. Each subtle difference shows the character of those who have helped me. It has been wonderful working with my family members. Together we have prepared our home to be a welcoming place for both the Lord, Jesus and all guests who will enter over the next few weeks.
Preparing for the return of Christ must also be a family affair. As the body of Christ, we have been commissioned to tell the world about His wonderful gift of salvation. Go then and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, Teaching them to observe everything that I have commanded you, and behold, I am with you all the days (perpetually, uniformly, and on every occasion), to the [very] close and consummation of the age. Amen (so let it be).” (Matthew 28:19-20 AMP) In order for us to accomplish this, we must all work together and in the specific ways that God has prepared each of us. God has given different gifts, talents and abilities to each of His children. “Now there are distinctive varieties and distributions of endowments (gifts, extraordinary powers distinguishing certain Christians, due to the power of divine grace operating in their souls by the Holy Spirit) and they vary, but the [Holy] Spirit remains the same.” (1 Corinthians 12:4 AMP)
We are to use these gifts and talents to carry out the work that God has assigned and to lead others to His Son, Jesus Christ. “As each of you has received a gift (a particular spiritual talent, a gracious divine endowment), employ it for one another as [befits] good trustees of God's many-sided grace [faithful stewards of the extremely diverse powers and gifts granted to Christians by unmerited favor].” (1 Peter 4:10 AMP) This uniqueness is given to us through grace. We can trust that we will always have whatever we need to carry out the assignments God places on us, because “Faithful is He Who is calling you [to Himself] and utterly trustworthy, and He will also do it [fulfill His call by hallowing and keeping you].” (1 Thessalonians 5:24 AMP) confident in his faithfulness, the writer of Hebrews prayed, “Strengthen (complete, perfect) and make you what you ought to be and equip you with everything good that you may carry out His will; [while He Himself] works in you and accomplishes that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ (the Messiah); to Whom be the glory forever and ever (to the ages of the ages). Amen (so be it).” (Hebrews 13:21 AMP)
Working together is the only way that we can accomplish the plan of God in this world. No one person is more important than any other. Nor is the style or manner of any one person the only proper way. The apostle Paul wrote, “For by the grace (unmerited favor of God) given to me I warn everyone among you not to estimate and think of himself more highly than he ought [not to have an exaggerated opinion of his own importance], but to rate his ability with sober judgment, each according to the degree of faith apportioned by God to him.” (Romans 12:3 AMP) We must always keep in mind that each of us is precious and specially gifted by God.

As you seek to serve the Lord, always remember that we are doing this together. You and I each have roles to play in different styles of serving God. When we do this together in love and acceptance we will present a beautiful and welcoming atmosphere that will attract others to Christ as the day of His return nears.

No comments:

Post a Comment