Friday, May 27, 2016

Thunderstorms of Life (5/14/14)

Another spring storm came through recently. Once again, we endeavored to ease the fears of our female dog, Kari. This has become a multi-step process. When the first weather alerts came on my cell phone, we gave Kari a dose of her natural calming medicine. Not to be left out, and to combat the effects dampness, Beamer received an extra dose of his joint supplements. Both dogs believe these to be treats and take them willingly.
As tornado sirens were heard in the distance, our entire family retreated to the den to wait out the possible hail and tornadoes that may come through. Fortunately, neither arrived.  The thunder and lightning of a spring storm did come through our area. As in all storms, we put a “Thunder” shirt on Kari. The specially made shirt wraps snugly around the dog to simulate a close hug. It is to provide stability for the fearful animal. Additionally, my husband David provided distraction by slowly tossing popcorn to the dogs. This routine worked fairly well.
Later during the night, another round of thunderstorms came through our area. Both Kari and Beamer began to whine and scratch to get out of the room they sleep in. So that my men would be able to sleep, I went to the dog’s room. For the next several hours, both dogs laid close to me on the bed. As the thunder rolled, Kari began to whimper. She would quickly calm to my reassuring whispers, but with each new thunderclap a soft whine would emerge. She was trying so hard not to cry and she did not bark. (This is great progress over a year ago.) But even with my presence and reassuring voice, she could not totally rest at ease.
Internal storms also occur during our lives. Troubles arise, making life hard, and we can hear this thunder roar. Currently in one of these storms, I find myself acting very much like Kari. I began this trial very strong and confident. As many weeks have passed, I and finding insecurities that I had thought had been overcome. I continually have to run back to God and rely on His grace and mercy.  He sees the other side of this storm and the bright days coming.
Feeding daily on the word of God is much like taking that calming tablet before the arrival of the storm. “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:2 ESV) God’s word in us is nourishment providing strength and great comfort during trials. He speaks only truth and we can always trust Him And now, O Lord GOD, you are God, and your words are true, and you have promised this good thing to your servant. (2 Samuel 7:28 ESV)
When the storm becomes loud, it is time to let God put on our spiritual “Thunder” shirt. I will greatly rejoice in the LORD; my soul shall exult in my God, for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation; he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself like a priest with a beautiful headdress, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. (Isaiah 61:10 ESV) Even in these storms God’s grace provides us with all that we need and with beauty too. This beautiful robe is like a close, comforting hug from the Father.
Once we have the stability of our “Thunder” shirt wrapped around us, we must listen for the whispers of God. There are precious promises in the Scriptures. King David relied on these promises during the hard times in his life.  “Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by.”   (Psalm 57:1 ESV) At other times God will calm the storms. “He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed.” (Psalm 107:29 ESV) The disciples also witnessed Jesus calm the storm. (Matthew 8 and Mark 4) We will be delivered through or from the storm as God sees fit. We can listen to the whisper of God. In the same way I went to be close to Beamer and Kari, God is always close to us.  “…for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5 ESV) Although the whimper may start, His voice will provide the security to chase the fear away.  We can even get to the point that, like Beamer, being close is enough to bring the needed peace.

As you face a storm allow the Master to care for you as we provide to care for Kari. The storm will pass and you will be fine, just as your Father is promised.


No comments:

Post a Comment