Wednesday, March 15, 2017

A Reboot Kind of Day (6/6/14)

One recent morning my cell phone began to act up. The first trouble concerned accessing a voicemail. It was not immediately critical because I had already contacted the caller.  A short while later I attempted to leave a voice message on a friend’s phone. When she returned my call, I found that it had been blank. Soon after that I tried to send a text.  I composed a message, but was unable to successfully send it. By this time, I had determined to take the phone to the cellular store where I purchased and service it. I hoped they would be able to clear the phone and reboot it to work properly.
The moment the word “reboot” entered my mind, I realize that the first thing I should do is turn the phone off. After a few minutes, I turned it back on and everything worked properly. At this point all the phone had needed was a rest. Since that “reboot” every application has worked as it should. It simply needed to be turned off, rest and turned back on to return to normal operating status.
That same evening my computer was not working properly. It would not allow me to open some previously saved files. Then the mouse stopped working. I told my husband, who has far more computer knowledge than I, of the issues. He had no advice for this situation. Remembering the morning and my phone, I immediately shut down the computer and took the battery out. After waiting for about one minute, I inserted the battery back into its place and turned the computer on. Since that time everything has worked as it should.
I seldom turn off either my cell phone or my computer. I tend to recharge my cell phone before the battery runs low. Since I use it for an alarm clock, I do not turn it off at night. Impatient with the set-up time required when starting the computer after it has been shut down, I generally opt for the ‘sleep’ or ‘hibernate’ modes. These habits cause my electronics to run for extended periods of time.
Like a phone or computer, running too long without proper rest can cause people to begin having problems. Our minds and our bodies require rest physically, mentally and spiritually. When things begin to get a little off, it may be time for a reboot. Our entire lives do not require to be totally cleared for a new beginning. But we do need a time for rest and refreshing. “Six days you shall do your work, but the seventh day you shall rest and keep Sabbath, that your ox and your donkey may rest, and the son of your bondwoman, and the alien, may be refreshed.” (Exodus 23:12 AMP) Even God, whose work was perfect, took a day of rest as an example to us.  Adequate sleep and relaxation enable us to be far more productive in all we do.
When we become overwhelmed with life, we will not operate at our best. The enemy of our soul will use these times to gain ground in our lives. We will simply make wrong decisions due to spiritual, mental or physical exhaustion. Jesus has given the solution of this problem. Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.]   Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls.  For My yoke is wholesome (useful, good—not harsh, hard, sharp, or pressing, but comfortable, gracious, and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be borne.” (Matthew 11:28-30 AMP) Come away to His love and grace by shutting off the distractions of life for a time.
Troublesome times may try to prevent us from crossing the threshold of rest.  We must make the effort to enter in. “Let be and be still, and know (recognize and understand) that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations! I will be exalted in the earth!” (Psalm 46:10 AMP) This may take special time alone, shutting off the noise in our minds to contemplate God’s promises and build up trust.  Jesus also understood this. “And He said to them, [As for you] come away by yourselves to a deserted place, and rest a while—for many were [continually] coming and going, and they had not even leisure enough to eat.” (Mark 6:31 AMP) God does not intend for us to be continually coming and going, even when the work we are doing is ministering for Him.  He desires that we spend time with Him so He can restore what trials of life drain from us.  He also wants to share in our joys.  He longs to refresh our hearts like rain refreshes dry, wilting plants. 


If you find yourself not performing at your best, check out your rest. Are you getting enough physical and spiritual time away from the busyness of your day? It may be time to reboot by taking time to clear, rest and reset. It will be well worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment