Tuesday, March 7, 2017

I Want To Be Jesus’ Girl! (10/07/13)

Recently, one line from a 1962 song (the only line I knew) came to mind.  “I want to be Bobby’s girl” kept replaying in my mind.  Images of plaid skirts, pedal pushers, white tennis shoes and letter sweaters came to mind.  As that line continued to replay in my mind, the words suddenly changed to “I want to be Jesus’ girl” It seemed rather funny; even irreverent. But then, as I pondered the words, the imagery actually made sense. 
The symbols of going steady in the 60’s included letter sweaters and class rings.  The dream of a young girl was to be cherished by someone who would love her forever and even die for her.  We have those same things with Jesus and so much more.
Letter sweaters or jackets were symbols of accomplishment for the young man who had earned them.  He then, proudly gave it to the young woman he cared for.  This let everyone know his feelings.  When we come to Jesus, He gives us His robe of righteousness.  His sinless life earned the only path to salvation.  He has made that available to all who choose Him.  Jesus proclaimed in the Synagogue that He has fulfilled the prophetic passage of Isaiah 61, Among other purposes for His ministry is to provide “the garment [expressive] of praise instead of a heavy, burdened, and failing spirit” (v.3)  Then, like Isaiah we can say, “I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.” (Isaiah 61:10 AMP) Although the physical eye cannot see this robe, we wear His robe daily.
The class ring was worn proudly on the left hand. (with the assistance of angora yarn to accommodate the size difference) Although she may not have the size or strength of the ring’s owner, she had access to him.  Throughout Scripture, we see a signet ring representing the authority of the owner.  Pharaoh gave his to Joseph, who then had rule over all the land of Egypt.  Jesus has been given all authority. “Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth.” (Matthew 28:18 NLT) His authority is demonstrated in His name, which He has given us the privilege to use.  We are told to pray in His name, fight the enemy in His name and make disciples in His name.  This is an amazing privilege that Jesus has given to His betrothed.
The dream of being cherished forever can only be fulfilled by Jesus, because He offers us eternity.  He not only would die for us, but He has died for us.  It was by that death of Jesus that we have been invited to live forever.  “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:23 NLT) Jesus died to pay the penalty of death and offers us this gift of life.  In addition to the forever definition of eternal, I found many other synonyms, including boundless, enduring, immutable, and indestructible.  These all describe a full life.  That’s what we have; a full life, forever with Jesus.
As I began to write this, I read the lyrics to the original song.  It was a bit sad because the singer was a girl longing for a position held by someone else.  If only Bobby would choose her.  Well my friend, Jesus has chosen you, and He has chosen me.  His heart and His life are big enough for all of us.  He sees us where we are and extends the invitation every day.
I love the last 2 stanzas of the song.  I just want to make one simple change.

I want to be Bobby's girl
I want to be Bobby's girl,
That's the most important thing to me...

And if I was Bobby's girl,
If I was Bobby's girl,
What a faithful, thankful girl I'd be.                           
What a faithful, thankful girl I'd be. 

Since I am Jesus’ girl                                         
Since I am Jesus’ girl                                                
That's the most important thing to me

And since I am Jesus’ girl                                              
Since I am Jesus’ girl                                                  
What a faithful, thankful girl I'll be.                             


What a faithful, thankful girl I'll be.   

No comments:

Post a Comment