Friday, October 18, 2013

Crack Open My Heart (Prayers of the Heart 3)

There have been times that people has claimed that I am a bit of a nut.  (These comments usually come after I have delivered a particularly bad pun.)  The origins of some of the stories on this blog may increase the credibility of that reputation.  I had been praying about the need for a broken, God-like heart.   Then snacking on some pistachios, I saw an analogy God would use to teach me about my heart.  OK, so God told me I was like a pistachio.  I guess He agrees that I am a nut.  What’s worse, I can sometimes be a ‘hard nut to crack’! 
Pistachios, yum!  These nuts are really quite healthy.  Besides being full of protein, healthy fats, good carbs and fiber, I counted more than 25 vitamins and minerals.  And they are a green food. (OK, that may be stretching it, but the rest is all true.)  These little nuts are packed full off nutrition.  But to get to this goodness, you must crack the shell and let the nut out.
As I looked into the container of pistachios, I noticed that there were nutshells all at different levels of opening.  Some shells had spread so wide that the nut had already fallen out.  Others were fairly wide open and required only a little pressure to come apart and release the treasure within.  Others had separated less.  These could still be easily opened but required a little more pressure.  The final group contained shells that were intact or had only a tiny crack.  Still the line on which these nuts could be cracked was evident.  These would take some effort and a tool to get to the nut within.
These observations can also apply to my heart. Hidden within is a great, health-giving treasure.  Unfortunately, shells surround various areas of my heart.  These shells need to be broken off to let that treasure out.
Some areas in my heart I have opened wide and the grace of God flows freely.  In many cases these are connected to testing and trials that I have come through by the grace and provision of God.  I love the passage, Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.” (2 Corinthians 1:3-4 ESV)  I have experienced the tender presence of God as He walked me through trials that could easily have crushed me.  I love to help and encourage others who may be experiencing similar trials. 
The next two types of heart shells are areas that God is currently working on.  There are various levels, both in His work and my compliance.  The two go hand in hand.  The shell of my heart that is ready to break open requires only a small nudge from God to lead me to obedience.  I sometimes find myself amazed at how far I have come when I am willing to comply with his requests.  At other times I am not so quick to obey. I do come around, but only after I’ve voiced some of my objections first.  Cracking shells is a process.   “And all of us, as with unveiled face, [because we] continued to behold [in the Word of God] as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are constantly being transfigured into His very own image in ever increasing splendor and from one degree of glory to another; [for this comes] from the Lord [Who is] the Spirit.” (2 Corinthians 3:18 AMP)  Continually beholding the word of God in that mirror helps me to see just how foolish my objections are. I see the great benefit of surrendering to His will. I realize my heart is becoming more like His, one decision at a time.  Then I can willingly say, “Crack me open.  I want your love to come out.”
But alas, there is that fourth type of nutshell.  It is solidly intact and will not lend itself to be easily broken open.  Sometimes this shell is simple rebellion.  I have not yet chosen to give God control over this area of my life.  Other times I am not even aware a shell is present. I have never even considered how God sees or feels about a situation.  And often a shell has been formed as the result hurt of or insecurity.  It has become a protective barrier to keep pain out.  Past experiences have caused me to wall this piece of the heart in.  Unfortunately, whatever the source, a hard shell will cause me to hide the gift of God inside.  I need to place my heart in God’s hands.   The king’s heart is in the hand of the Lord, as are the watercourses; He turns it whichever way He wills.” (Proverbs21:1 AMP)   God’s hand is the best place my heart can be.  In His hands I find gentle correction for rebellion. He gives me a view and understanding of His heart. And with tenderness He brings true healing as I open up. I must not only allow Him in, but I must be willing to let Him to select the tool, whether nutcracker for rebellion or scalpel for past wounds.  When God says “It’s time,” it truly is time for the shell to be broken off.  Allow Him to shelter and mold your heart with His gentle, strong hands.  Allow him to make your heart flow with the love displayed by Jesus.
But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.”   (2 Corinthians 4:6-7 ESV)   Ask God to work daily in your life to break off all of the shells that surround areas of your heart.  Ask Him to show you His heart and mold your heart to be like His.  He will.  Let God do His perfect work in you, so that you can release that life-giving treasure within and nourish the world with His love and grace. 


No comments:

Post a Comment