Friday, October 11, 2013

The Great Traveling Companion

For two summers during college, I lived and worked in Yellowstone Park.  While there I had the opportunity to go on many hikes.  Though I enjoyed the hiking and sightseeing, I never did become a skilled back country person.  I stuck mostly to easier hikes, but did endeavor a few steeper climbs.
One such climb has stuck with me all these years.  Four of us had taken our days off and gone north to Glacier National Park.  Mary, a friend of mine, was working that summer in Glacier at a lodge that was set back and required hiking into.  A girl whose room was across the hall from mine had gotten to know Mary the previous summer when she had worked at Yellowstone.  We thought it would be fun to drive up and surprise her.
We arrived at the lot where we would leave the car and backpack in.  There were two paths that could be taken to the lodge.  One was a scenic path with switchbacks and a gentle climb.  The other was more direct and therefore steeper.  One of the members of our group, Lavonne, wanted to take the steeper path.  I looked at the map and thought the elevation change of 1000 feet in the distance of the path was challenging, but not horrible.  I said I would do it.  Later, I realized that I had misread the map.  The climb was actually 2000 feet in that distance.  That wasn’t challenging, but to a novice hiker, it was insane.  Little did I realize what was ahead for me, both physically and spiritually.
As the climb began, we chatted until I became too winded to walk and talk comfortably.  During this time Lavonne gave me encouraging words and took as many breaks as I needed.  As we climbed farther and the heat of the day increased, Lavonne took my backpack and carried it for me.  She was so helpful and encouraging.  A Montana native, she could probably have jogged up that path.   Yet she paced herself with me and stayed right by my side.
About 2/3 the way up, I began to despair that I would even make it to the top.  I then began to doubt that Mary would even be there when I arrived.  We had planned this as a surprise after all.  In only a few moments we heard voices of a group coming down the path.  It was actually Mary and some of her coworkers going to get supplies.  When she returned she would have the rest of the day off.  I now, not only knew she would be here, but that she would have time to spend with us.
I was a bit energized, but that last portion of the climb was about to do me in.  This trail had been way above my endurance level.  When I believed I could not take another step, I felt Lavonne’s hands as she came up behind and literally pushed me the final distance.  We had been so close to the top and I had been so close to quitting and collapsing right there.  But then we rounded the crest and I saw a spectacular view.  It was truly breathtaking.  We both paused to take it in. After a few minutes appreciating God’s creative beauty, I saw another beautiful sight.  The path to the lodge sloped gently downward from where we stood.
During this climb the Lord spoke to me about the life I would walk with Him. He wanted to be my lifelong traveling companion. I knew in my heart that what I was seeing in Lavonne was a picture of His care for me.  He would offer encouragement and travel at my speed, but never let me stay too long in one spot.  He will carry the load when I cannot.  “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.” (Matthew 11:28 AMP) 
When we begin to lose hope, God sends little promises of our end result.  These can come from many sources including the Word, a song, an event or other people. “A word fitly spoken and in due season is like apples of gold in settings of silver.” (Proverbs 25:11 AMP)  This speaks of a beautiful gift, just like hearing Mary’s voice that day was for me.  These little reminders are always precious gifts when we find them. 
When I truly felt like I was going to collapse, I asked the Lord just how far He would go to help me.  It was at that very moment that I felt the hands on my back pushing me forward.  He will be faithful for whatever you need.  He will push you over the top when necessary.  Then He will step back and watch you, His precious child, as you view the vista ahead.  He may even throw in a gentle downward slope to that restful lodge.
No one was aware of what truly happened to me that day.  Even Lavonne was amazed when I later related the lessons God taught me through her.  I believe that she was listening to Him as she went about that hike and helped me as exactly as He led her too.  Listen to God as you walk through your day.  You may be the person He uses to bring His encouragement, carry a load or even push a brother or sister up the final steps of their struggle.
Do you sometimes feel like the lowland, city girl who is trying a tough climb in high elevation air?  Does that gentle slope of the scenic path sound real good to you?   Do you ever feel like you misread the map and may not have signed up for this Christian life if you had known what lie ahead?  Be sure you know who your travel companion in this life will be.  There will be times when the path is steep and difficult.  Jesus will get you to the top by whatever means necessary.  There will also be times when the road has a gentler incline and there He will walk beside you.  He will converse with you as you share the beautiful views of all that he has made and planned.  And when you feel like you have agreed to something far beyond what you bargained for, He will show you that with Him you can accomplish immeasurably more that you ever dreamed possible.
By the way, we had a great visit with Mary.  The following day we took that same path down to the parking lot. What had taken several hours to climb the previous day, took less than twenty minutes to descend.  It was actually difficult to slow the pace enough to not topple forward from running too fast.  Our other two companions were astounded that we had hiked up that path.  No one was more amazed than me.




No comments:

Post a Comment