Friday, January 24, 2014

A Taste For the Finer Things

Do you have a taste for the finer things in life?  
After eating healthy for the past two years, I find that my taste buds have actually changed.  They may physically be the same as always, but what they crave has changed.  I no longer want the package mixes of foods. Sugar tastes so artificial.  It may take work to make my own sauces (including BBQ) and dressings, but I love the finished product. My homemade desserts are the best.  I also love sharing these with others. 
Spending more time in the Word everyday has changed my tastes as well.  I find that some of the activities that I once enjoyed, no longer seem as important or as satisfying.  It's not that there was anything wrong about what I was doing.  I just no longer want to spend my time on these things.  (Don't assume that I don't spend any free time on other things.  It's just far more limited and I’m more selective.)  
Eating just a small portion of what is not a good food can make me feel awful for hours.  It’s not guilt.  It’s actually an uncomfortable feeling in my body. Now that I have lived headache free, even a slight headache is more than I care to deal with.  Whereas once it was the norm, now it is unacceptable. 
Partaking in former activities that may not have bothered you in the past, may begin to bring regret and a feeling of waste.  “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything.” (1Corinthians 6:12 ESV)  There are many activities that are perfectly acceptable in moderation, but spending too much time on anything can get in the way with quality time with God. 
I remember where I used to be.  I was significantly overweight and very sick.  Between the asthma and extreme pain issues, I could barely walk a flight of stairs without needing to rest and wanting to cry.  Getting on the floor to play with my dogs just did not happen.  I could barely bend down to put their food bowls on the floor without wincing as my back and shoulder complained.  It’s a place I never want to return.  I don’t even want to begin down that road. 
Jesus Christ makes all things new.  I cherish the changes He has made in me.  My heart is sensitive to others so much more so than before.  I have a peace and joy that stays even when life around me gets rough.  I love hearing the Father give me directions on how to bless others.  I don’t ever want to return to the anxious, sad Christian I was. 
So I have a taste for the finer things of this eternal life.  I love having and developing the fruit of the Spirit.   But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law(Galatians 5:22-23 ESV)  My taste buds have changed and I am glad.  Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him! (Psalm 34:8 ESV)  Taking refuge in God is a great place to be. I have tasted of His goodness and nothing can compare!  I cannot return to an ordinary life.
Can I keep this for the rest of my life?  Just like regaining lost weight or relapsing into bad health habits, it takes a complete lifestyle change to keep from losing the positive benefits.  I have found a way to keep this sweet essence on my tongue and health in my bones.  Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. (Hebrews  13:15 ESV)  “A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.” (Proverbs 17:22 ESV)  With a song of praise on my lips and the joy of the Lord in my heart I will walk in this new health. 

Daily, decision by decision, bite by bite, I must choose to feast on the finer things of this walk with God.  Will you  walk and feast with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment