Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Regrets and Resolutions or Reflective Pursuance

New Years Eve is often time for a party. It is also a time for looking back over the past year.  We look back and consider how things have gone. We may number the things we’ve done wrong, and hopefully we also look at what has been done right. Inevitably our thoughts and conversations will focus on what we want to do better next year. These become our New Year’s resolutions.
A New Year’s resolution by nature states “I resolve to.”  Generally a resolution will focus on something we wish to improve about ourselves. This often includes better eating habits and physical activity goals. We may also determine to make improvements in our business lives. For many Christians, New Year’s resolutions may include prayer and Bible reading goals. We may find ourselves promising God to do better this year. We may set time frames and specific plans or outlines to achieve these goals.
“I resolve to” may seem like a positive statement. The problem is that the focus remains on the “I.” I have seen the error of my ways.  I am going to do all of these wonderful new things. I have a plan. I am excited and ready to go. Unfortunately, I can only go so far before I burn out. My strength is weak and my attention span is short. Soon I find myself full of regrets that I could not continue through the year with all my good intentions intact.
Does this story sound familiar? I know people that don’t stay on course  past the first week,. Others make it many months before throwing in the towel. And lots of people simply no longer make resolutions. Do you fit into one of these categories? 
So, is wanting to do better in the new year wrong? Is mapping out a plan to add more discipline to your life not a good thing? Of course, both of these things are good. The problem lies in where your strength is coming from. Apart from relying on God, nothing will stand.
As in many positive things, good is just a shade off of best. God desires for us to be disciplined and have the fruit of good works in our lives.  “…let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16 ESV) God also wants to supply the tasks we are to do and the strength by which we accomplish them.  He wants us to seek Him and follow what He plans for us to do.  Willing obedience is the response He desires.
So instead of “I resolve,” your thoughts should center on “God, what do You say about this?”  What do You see in me that You want to change?  How do You want to make the change?  “Show me Your ways, O Lord; teach me Your paths. Guide me in Your truth and faithfulness and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; for You [You only and altogether] do I wait [expectantly] all the day long.” (Psalm 25:4-5 AMP)   When the I becomes You, both the direction and the power source change.  Not only are you now following God’s plan, but you have His strength to see it through.
To shift our focus we must “Set your minds and keep them set on what is above (the higher things), not on the things that are on the earth.” (Colossians 3:2 AMP) We look to what the Father has planned for us.  We can then simply obey.  This may involve setting some things aside and picking up other things that we need to follow through on.  Following the leading of the Holy Spirit will always be to our benefit.  “And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” (Philippians 1:6 ESV)
So have a praise party and look at the good that has been accomplished in your life this past year.  Then ask for God’s plan of what to let go of, what to keep doing and what new things He wishes to do in and through you.  Work on these things by the power He supplies.  Then you can walk in this promise.  “Thus says the Lord, Who makes a way through the sea and a path through the mighty waters, Do not [earnestly] remember the former things; neither consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs forth; do you not perceive and know it and will you not give heed to it? I will even make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.”  (Isaiah 43:16, 18-19 AMP)

Have a Happy, Spirit - Led, New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment