Friday, January 31, 2014

My Name is On the Account

When I was young, my father had a credit account at a local clothing store.   Although credit cards were around at that time, many small stores continued to have personal accounts for their loyal customers.  As a high school freshman, my father added me to the list of those approved to charge on His account.  I remember calling him because I had found the perfect sweater on sale.  The store owner knew me as Phil’s daughter and agreed to accept my father’s consent over the phone.  In just a few moments, I was signing a charge ticket, as the clerk bagged my new sweater. The store owner wrote my name in his register under my dad’s account.  I was now able to come to the store and charge at will. 
We have a similar spiritual authority.  Jesus said, “Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.” (John 16:24 ESV)  Our heavenly father wants us to have all the benefits the death of Jesus has paid for. We are God’s children, and He wants us to receive what is ours as members of Hs family.  When we are born again, our names are written in His book.  (Concerning who would enter the new Jerusalem) the Apostle John wrote, “only those who are written in the Lamb’s book of life.” (Revelation 21:27 ESV)  This privilege is not limited to the new heaven and the new earth.  Because of this family standing, we have been given great authority.  “Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you.  Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.” (Luke 10:19-20 ESV)  We should be joyful, not for the authority, but for our place in God’s family. But we are to use that authority, wisely. 
No sooner had I signed that slip, a friend of mine encouraged me to get a pair of jeans that I had also liked.  I now had the ability to do so.  But, even then, I realized that this new ability could not be used indiscriminately.  I was accountable to my father.  To misuse this right would cause me to lose the privilege.  Far worse than that, I would lose the respect I had been given that day. I used that privilege wisely throughout my high school and college years.  I sought permission and acceptable amounts before using the account.  From that day on, I asked and received from my earthly father. 
The apostle Paul encourages believers, “I therefore, the prisoner for the Lord, appeal to and beg you to walk (lead a life) worthy of the [divine] calling to which you have been called [with behavior that is a credit to the summons to God’s service,” (Ephesians 4:1 AMP) We are to use the authority Lord has given us in a way that brings honor to Him. We are part of His family.  We represent God in all we do, because we bear His name.  Just as I was known as Phil’s daughter, I am also known as God’s daughter. 
Many years have passed since that day at the Leader Store.  I do not remember the sweater I bought.  I can no longer recall the face of the store owner who was so kind to me.  But to this day, I still remember how I felt to be respected because I was Phil’s daughter.  In a single moment, I felt the freedom of being able to get something I wanted, as well as the responsibility of only using that freedom in a manner my father would approve of.  I guarded that responsibility, as I also attempt to guard the responsibility given to me by the Lord.

Know who you belong to and experience the benefits of being in God’s family. Walk wisely in the authority he has given you.  “His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence,” (2 Peter 1:3 ESV)  Be responsible in all things. Enjoy life!

No comments:

Post a Comment