Friday, January 3, 2014

Living Harmonies

Years ago, I was a member of a worship team.  There was a need for more female harmonists.  Having been a soprano, I had always sung lead or the very specific, 2nd soprano part. Second soprano is not a harmony that is as easily heard as the alto or tenor. It is learned by simply memorizing the notes.  This attempt to learn harmony was a new adventure for me. The process I followed to learn harmony has served me well in life. 
Newly engaged, I was taking on a harmony role in my personal life.  I would no longer be making decisions on my own.  The first step I took in my harmony training was to sit next to our one remaining alto harmonist. I sang exactly what she sang.  It took a while before I could sing this part without her voice in my ear, but after a time, I was able to hold my own singing these harmonies.  At this time, I also began watching and following other women whom I wanted to model the attitudes and lifestyles of. 
Step two was to sing a basic harmony when I was the only harmonist.  Our midweek team consisted of only three vocalists, which afforded the opportunity to step out.  Because I was not trying to fit between another harmony and the lead, it was easier to harmonize and gain confidence.  In marriage it was much the same.  I was learning to blend my life with my husband’s.  I was able to become a second in my new family.  And all the while I was learning to hear life’s harmony notes on my own. 
Soon my son was born and the next harmony lesson also became significant.  Having become proficient at being the only harmonist, it was time to learn to blend in between the lead and another harmonist.  This can be quite a bit trickier.  That note that may have sounded nice with just you and the lead voice, can now clash with a harmonist’s note. But when the notes are right, there is a new fullness to the sound. Training and additional attention is necessary to learn this skill.  The way a mom learns to facilitate all the nuances of family life is often amazing.  She finds her place amidst husband and children and somehow makes everyone a bit better. 
As time went on, I found myself hearing multiple harmonies in every tune.  I now actually prefer to sing harmony over lead.  It’s more fun to search for that note that enhances the song.  Don’t get me wrong, I sometimes hit very sour notes in my search.  (I’m glad I’m not behind a microphone when this happens.)  But then that’s what practices are for. In practice you learn what your part is and how to blend with the other singers. I’ve also made some mistakes in my family life.  But the end result has been a greater richness because of my attempts. 
This same process has molded my spiritual walk.  God is the lead singer/director.  In order to find my place on His team, I have to always be in tune with where He is going.  I must be willing to follow even if He changes things from where I expected them to go.  I can’t take off in my own direction because I think it’s right.  That can be very hard at times. Personal expectations and God’s perfect plan have a way of not always matching.  “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55:8-9 ESV) I have learned much from others who have walked with and trusted God for years and can guide me through these lessons. 
In addition to submission to God’s direction, there are also other believers with which we are to mutually submit.  A single harmonist cannot belt out notes without considering the parts being sung by other members of the team.  Blending is the goal of harmony – not upstaging.  The way to ensure a good blend is to practice together and learn what each person will be singing.  With our fellow Christians, this means learning the gifts and callings each of us has.  Then we work to make each individual sound and be their best.  The result is beautiful.  speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ,  from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.(Ephesians 4:15-16 ESV)  Love is the result of a harmonious life.
Lastly, a skilled harmonist does not want the focus to be on them. The lead must always be first in the minds of the listener.  It’s the lead that we want the audience to follow.  It’s best when the harmony parts cannot be easily distinguished from each other.  That is a quality of “one voice” that groups strive for.  In ministry it’s never about what an individual is doing.  Rather it is about the group accomplishing a God given task.  The greatest compliment you can give a harmonist or a true servant of God is, “I missed you.  I’m not sure what it was, but something was not quite as rich in your absence.” 
Learn your part and sing out.  Find your place and blend in. The body is richer because you are a part of it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment