Wednesday, August 17, 2016

How's Your Pain?

One frequent question posed when discussing pain with a doctor, nurse or therapist is “Describe the pain.” The type and location of pain is just as important as the intensity. While we may rate pain on a scale of 1 to 10, we may also be asked to describe the specific sensation of the pain. Is it sharp, dull, throbbing, burning etc? In addition to where in the body the pain is found is equally important.
After a month of inactivity in the lower left leg, due to the severity of the broken tibia (shin bone) I was finally given permission to begin bending my knee 10 degrees. While performing the exercises there is very little pain. This was extremely exciting since I was expecting much worse. Hours later when I was not expecting anything at all I began to experience an intense burning sensation that seemed to be coming from just beneath the tibia.
Speaking to the nurse for my orthopedic office the next day, I was informed that this pain was typical after waking up nerves and muscles that have had a month-long rest. During this conversation we discussed another pain that could be an indicator of aa potential blood clot. This pain would be just a little farther back, in the calf region, and more of a throbbing sensation then the fire I was feeling.
Both pains would be uncomfortable and unpleasant.  Yet amid the discomfort of the fiery pain there is the peace of knowing that this is a sign that healing was beginning. It is both necessary and an indication that things are improving in the leg. There would also be an urgency to the throbbing calf pain, triggering a call to receive medical attention to prevent dangerous consequences.
In this life we will have trials and pain. “I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]” (John 16:33 AMP) The type of pain that we experience may come from various sources with differing outcomes. One may be beneficial as a symbol of growth. Another may be detrimental as an indicator of something wrong. There may be similar sensation but very different causes and results.
Sometimes the pain we experience may be connected to growth in our relationship with the Lord. It may be uncomfortable or even painful to follow the command to let go of past habits. “But now put away and rid yourselves [completely] of all these things: anger, rage, bad feeling toward others, curses and slander, and foulmouthed abuse and shameful utterances from your lips!” (Colossians 3:8 AMP) But this is followed by great joy. In hard times we also have the promise of growth through trials. “Consider it wholly joyful, my brethren, whenever you are enveloped in or encounter trials of any sort or fall into various temptations. Be assured and understand that the trial and proving of your faith bring out endurance and steadfastness and patience. But let endurance and steadfastness and patience have full play and do a thorough work, so that you may be [people] perfectly and fully developed [with no defects], lacking in nothing.” (James 1:2-4 AMP) With this in mind, we can endure and even welcome the pain.
Other pain can be the result sin. “For if you live according to [the dictates of] the flesh, you will surely die. …” (Romans 8:13a AMP) King David was in agony when he hid his sin. “When I kept silence [before I confessed], my bones wasted away through my groaning all the day long. For day and night Your hand [of displeasure] was heavy upon me; my moisture was turned into the drought of summer. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!” (Psalm 32:3-4 AMP) Although unbearable, this pain led to repentance and forgiveness.
“I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide. I said, I will confess my transgressions to the Lord [continually unfolding the past till all is told]—then You [instantly] forgave me the guilt and iniquity of my sin. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!” (Psalm 32:5 AMP) Forgiveness brings peace.
Refusing to surrender to the correction of God leads to destruction. Hurt feelings can turn to unforgiveness and a root of bitterness. At the first warning sign of this we must, “Exercise foresight and be on the watch to look [after one another], to see that no one falls back from and fails to secure God's grace (His unmerited favor and spiritual blessing), in order that no root of resentment (rancor, bitterness, or hatred) shoots forth and causes trouble and bitter torment, and the many become contaminated and defiled by it.” (Hebrews 12:15 AMP)
If the pain in life is developing our character, we can have peace and even joy amidst the pain. When pain is an indicator of falling farther from God, we must act quickly by running to our heavenly Father to confess, repent and receive His mercy and grace.
Determine the source and reason for pain. Allow it to serve its purpose in your life. Rejoice in growth and run to the Father to allow healing before heartsick conditions lead to death.

(Note: My therapist just left and the range of motion on my knee has been increased to 30%. If there is more pain, I will keep a sharp eye on its cause.)

No comments:

Post a Comment