Friday, August 5, 2016

It’s a Dog's Life

Have you ever come home after a rough day and looked at a canine companion just lying in the sun? He may have come running and wagging his tail to greet you at the door. This furry friend has total trust that you will let him outside and provide his meals. His life seems so easy and comfortable. At that moment, when the day that may have included challenges with other people, physical challenges and other difficulties that you just would rather not have had to face, one can easily say “I would love to have the dog's life. I would love to lie around and have somebody provide my every need or want.”
With this broken leg I realize that in many ways I am currently living a life similar to that of my dogs. I cannot go to work and I basically lie around all day. My meals are brought to me by someone who loves me and all my needs are met by others. Although I have time to study the Word of God and accomplish some tasks that I have put to the side recently, this inactive life wears thin quite quickly
We have been created by God to fulfill a purpose. We are not meant to live a life of inactivity and dependence on others. With our dependence firmly set on God, we have been created to serve others. Jesus is our prime example for living a fruitful, joyful life. The Scripture tells us, “For even the Son of Man came not to have service rendered to Him, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for (instead of) many.” (Mark 10:45 AMP) Although He was God, He chose to live a life of service to others. “How God anointed and consecrated Jesus of Nazareth with the [Holy] Spirit and with strength and ability and power; how He went about doing good and, in particular, curing all who were harassed and oppressed by [the power of] the devil, for God was with Him.” (Acts 10:38 AMP)
We can use times of rest and restoration. These are not only pleasant, but also necessary for physical and mental health. “…Jesus stood, and He cried in a loud voice, If any man is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink!” (John 7:37 AMP) Jesus walked with a balance in His life. He spent time communicating with the Father in prayer. “But He Himself withdrew [in retirement] to the wilderness (desert) and prayed.” (Luke 5:16 AMP) He spent time alone and with His disciples, but He came out of these times alone to serve others. “When Jesus heard it, He withdrew from there privately in a boat to a solitary place. But when the crowds heard of it, they followed Him [by land] on foot from the towns. When He went ashore and saw a great throng of people, He had compassion (pity and deep sympathy) for them and cured their sick.” (Matthew 14:13-14 AMP)
Allowing our lives to be filled with business is not wise. Allowing our lives to be self-centered and lazy is not wise. We must find purposeful direction from the Holy Spirit and walk out a balanced life. We will then seek to help others. Speaking of the end time judgement, Jesus tells the story of the sheep and the goats. In this story, He teaches “Then the King will say to those at His right hand, Come, you blessed of My Father [you favored of God and appointed to eternal salvation], inherit (receive as your own) the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave Me food, I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink, I was a stranger and you brought Me together with yourselves and welcomed and entertained and lodged Me, I was naked and you clothed Me, I was sick and you visited Me with help and ministering care, I was in prison and you came to see Me. Then the just and upright will answer Him, Lord, when did we see You hungry and gave You food, or thirsty and gave You something to drink? And when did we see You a stranger and welcomed and entertained You, or naked and clothed You?  And when did we see You sick or in prison and came to visit You? And the King will reply to them, Truly I tell you, in so far as you did it for one of the least [in the estimation of men] of these My brethren, you did it for Me.” (Matthew 25:34-40 AMP)

If you have a day that you wish you had a dog’s life, check to see if you are well rested. Then realize that you have been created for purpose and joyfully seek out and fulfill your purpose. You will be satisfied and Jesus will call out to you Come, you blessed of My Father”

No comments:

Post a Comment