Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Willing to Hurt

When part of the body is physically hurt, the rest of the body has to step up to keep functioning. Utilizing a walker to get around while my leg is incapacitated, puts extra pressure on my hands. My other leg, primarily the foot, has extra pressure when moving as I must hop everywhere I go.
After nearly eight weeks of no weight or pressure on the left leg, I am beginning to feel a little of the effect of this altered mobilization in my hands. Although my palms are not blistered or by any means in extreme pain, there is some discomfort when I handle the walker. Using crutches can also be uncomfortable for the upper arms. Both are the results of being used in a manner that is out of the ordinary and to which I am unaccustomed. Although not difficult to use, it is just unusual.
In addition to the discomfort in my hands I have experienced some swelling in my right foot as well. Even though only my left leg requires elevation, I spend much time with both legs elevated. Then having my right leg in a vertical position when in the wheelchair has caused some swelling and tingling sensations. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my right foot or leg. Yet it is not being utilized in the manner of walking, climbing steps or even standing as it is used to. Hopping is not the customary use of my foot, but that is primarily what it has done for the last two months. Consequently, it too has experienced discomfort due to the injury to the left leg.
All other injuries from the fall have long since healed. Only the left leg remains impaired. Yet because of the impairment of one limb, my entire body is not performing as it is accustomed. I am far less active as I am required to keep my foot raised as much as possible.
Followers of Jesus are referred to as the body of Christ. “So we, numerous as we are, are one body in Christ (the Messiah) and individually we are parts one of another [mutually dependent on one another].” (Romans 12:5 AMP) This body is compared to a physical body. (Romans 12 and 1Corinthians 12) Together we are to function as a single unit dedicated to Jesus Christ. Working together requires that each part function as created. We are to use our gifts and talents to perform the function God has given us in this body. Although each member of the body has a specific function, there may be times we are to put our main focus aside to assist another in need. At times others in the body must join together to help damaged or hurting members heal.
Are we willing to alter our own plans and ways of serving to accommodate another, even when it may be a bit inconvenient or uncomfortable? If a brother or sister in Christ is caught in the sin are we willing to confront and put in the required effort to restore to the truth? Will we risk our own popularity by standing up for one who may be gossiped about? Scripture commands, “Bear (endure, carry) one another's burdens and troublesome moral faults, and in this way fulfill and observe perfectly the law of Christ (the Messiah) and complete what is lacking [in your obedience to it].” (Galatians 6:2 AMP) We must help.
If we truly love and care for each other as part of our own body, we will do whatever it takes. This may not always be easy or convenient. It may even become painful. Yet, when someone is hurting, “We who are strong [in our convictions and of robust faith] ought to bear with the failings and the frailties and the tender scruples of the weak; [we ought to help carry the doubts and qualms of others] and not to please ourselves. Let each one of us make it a practice to please (make happy) his neighbor for his good and for his true welfare, to edify him [to strengthen him and build him up spiritually].” (Romans 15:1-2 AMP)
God is responsible for the healing to take place. He may desire to use us as part of the process. This can take many forms and varying degrees of commitment. We listen for His instruction and obediently follow His plan. The end result will be a strong, whole body bringing glory to the Heavenly Father.

Be willing to have your routine interrupted and your plans inconvenienced to serve God by assisting another who hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment