Monday, December 5, 2016

Calling For Your Best Friend (3/31/14)

When I was a little girl, my friends and I would ‘call’ for each other. When I arrived at a friend’s home, I went to the door and instead of knocking I would call out the name of my friend. In a sing – song voice I would call the name twice, pause and then repeat the name twice. This let all family members know exactly who I was there to see. It often prevented siblings from becoming irritated by an interruption to answer the door. It also allowed my friend to know who was outside by the sound of my voice.  My friends did the same when they came over to my house. 
Sometimes my call would not be immediately heard. Loud music or a television set would cover the sound of my voice. If all family members were in a part of the house far from the door, they may not hear me either. In these situations I had a choice to make. I could assume no one was home and go back to my house, or I could call again, in a louder voice.  Persistence always paid off. 
We are told to call upon the Lord and seek him daily. We find many different reasons noted in Scripture. Among the most predominant of these reasons is to praise God and to be saved from enemies. “I will call upon the Lord, Who is to be praised; so shall I be saved from my enemies.” (Psalm 18:3 AMP)   Mercy and forgiveness are also among great reasons to call on God. “For You, O Lord, are good, and ready to forgive [our trespasses, sending them away, letting them go completely and forever]; and You are abundant in mercy and loving-kindness to all those who call upon You.” (Psalm 86:5 AMP)  Calling on Him also arises from thankfulness and results in others coming to know about Him.  “O give thanks unto the Lord, call upon His name, make known His doings among the peoples!” (Psalm 105:1 AMP) 
These reasons are valid for true friends.  Once my call was answered we would spend time together.  We would build each other up and share our gratefulness for the friendship we had.  There were also times when mercy and forgiveness were required by one or the other of us.  I remember how long the walk seemed one day when I had caused a rift in a friendship.  I hesitated before I called out her name.  Hope arose as she answered the door and relief and joy flooded my heart when she accepted my trembling greeting of “Sorry!”  I don’t believe that playing with anyone was ever as much fun as that day. 
Sometimes we may wonder if He even hears or even recognizes our voice.  He has given us promises that He does.  “…The Lord knows those who are His…” (2 Timothy 2:19 AMP)  He will answer us when we call and He will care for us.  “The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him sincerely and in truth.” (Psalm 145:18 AMP) “He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.” (Psalm 91:15 AMP)  I love these promises. He not only answers us, He calls us by name. “And I will give you the treasures of darkness and hidden riches of secret places, that you may know that it is I, the Lord, the God of Israel, Who calls you by your name.” 
The primary reasons I would call for my friends was that I wanted to see and play with them. We enjoyed spending time together. Sometimes I would go into their home to play or they would come into mine. Other times we would play outside, exploring the far corners of our neighborhood. Anything we did was more fun because we had done it together. God enjoys spending time with us as well. He has made his home with us and desires to be a part of every aspect of our day.

Wherever you are at right now call for Him.  Whether you are needing forgiveness or just wanting to chat, He’s waiting.  So as you go about your day, let this verse be your heart’s prayer. “Hear my cry O God, listen to my prayer.” (Psalm 61:1 AMP)  Then listen for the answer. He will always open the door to spend time with His friend.  Anything you do today will be far better simply because you do it with your best friend.

First time calling?  No problem!  “For everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord [invoking Him as Lord] will be saved.” (Romans 10:13 AMP)  Call and you will become a part of the family and receive more than you ever imagine!  (Note:  If this is your first time calling on God, get with some Christians who can help you begin your walk with Him.)

No comments:

Post a Comment