Thursday, December 15, 2016

In the Right Place (12/22/14)

While decorating our home for Christmas this year, I tried to switch things up a little bit. Since we moved into this house more than 12 years ago, I have placed my nativity scene in the corner of our living room. The den on my lower floor is filled with my Christmas village and a second nativity graces the hall of our upper floor. My large nativity, which consists of a Jerusalem style building and actual dolls dressed in apparel appropriate to the time of the birth of Christ, has always been in that first room you enter when you come through the front door of my home.
It is very important to me to keep this nativity set as the focal point of our Christmas decorations. Over the years, I have added both animals and angels to the display. I want this to be the main remembrance from the added decor of my home during this holiday season. The tree, garland, lighted village and assortment of musical characters all add fun to the festive feel of this time of year. The Nativity brings reason to it all.
This year I moved the Nativity to the center back wall of the room so it would be even more of a focal point. I wanted it to be where the eyes naturally fell as one first walked through the front door. I had it set up there for about 3 days. During this time I was continually picking up one of the kings, a camel or a donkey up off of the floor. The table on which I had placed the set is quite a bit lower than its corner counterpart. My dog Beamer must have thought that I had put toys out for him to play with. Fortunately he did no damage to the ceramic dolls or the elegant clothing of the Magi. But after 3 days, I knew that the original location in the corner on a higher table was the right place for my nativity scene. This was not only out of the dogs play area, but I could also spread the Magi out onto the shelf of the cabinet that was beside this table. (This adds to the realism of the long journey the Magi undertook to reach the newborn King)
I think about how we often predetermine how we want Jesus to come into our lives. When He came as a baby it was not where many expected Him to be. Bethlehem was not where they thought Messiah would begin His reign. Jerusalem was the capital and where the temple was. Surely Messiah would appear as a full grown man on the Temple Mount. But God had His own plan set in motion before time had even begun. That plan included a baby, a stable (or cave) and the town of Bethlehem.
We often believe that we know how God should do things in our lives. We can consider how we would take care of circumstances and wonder why God doesn’t do it the same way. We can also cry out for God to make things so obvious that we cannot miss His plan. Why doesn’t He place it all right in our path where we would stumble over it if we weren’t looking? That would be logical so wouldn’t it also be right? Although it may be logical it is not always what God does. “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55:8-9 AMP) His plan may not be as we expect, but it will be right.
My intentions in moving the Nativity set were good. I wanted to make it so easy to see that would be impossible to miss. In reality it takes very little effort to look over to the corner where the display once again stands. God purposely does not always put things directly into our path. He wants us to put a little effort into seeking Him and His ways. “Then you will seek Me, inquire for, and require Me [as a vital necessity] and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.” (Jeremiah 29:13 AMP) When we are willing to make that effort, what we find will always be more than worth it. Like weaving past the Penguins and snowmen to get to the manger we must pass up some of the distractions of daily life to get to the heart of God.
Moving the nativity scene was not a big deal but is much better in its original place. Trying to move what God has set in our lives would be much more serious. We must allow God to choose the times and locations He has planned for us. And we must look to Him to find our way.

Look for God’s plan for you today. It may not be the most obvious choice but it is in just the right place and at just the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment