Thursday, January 5, 2017

Stuck on Start (The Game of Living in the Wisdom of God-1) (11/4/13)

Does anyone set up a board game and then stop on the space marked Start?  Do you open up your computer and click the Start icon, but never chose a program to open?  Do athletes bolt out of the Starting block, only to stop after the first step or two?  Although these statements seem a bit absurd, sometimes Christians do just this in their walks with God.  Some have come into a relationship with Jesus Christ and even taken a move or two in building that relationship.  But then they seem to just stare out at the game board (a deep walk full of the wisdom of God).  They watch their fellow players (other believers) move around the board without continuing on very far.  Start is the beginning.  Its only purpose is to set something in motion. 
Proverbs 1 defines the origin of wisdom. “The reverent and worshipful fear of the Lord is the beginning and the principal and choice part of knowledge [its starting point and its essence]; but fools despise skillful and godly Wisdom, instruction, and discipline.” (Proverbs 1:7 AMP) Reverent and worshipful fear of the Lord is the starting point and essence of wisdom.  We must come to that place of reverence, of respect, admiration and honor for God.  We must truly acknowledge and remind ourselves of His greatness. Without a vision of just how awesome He is, we will never have a true trust that leads to wisdom.  
For years I would quote this and I well knew that I must respectfully worship God to gain wisdom.  I often found myself asking for wisdom.  I would acknowledge that all true wisdom comes only from Him. I sometimes even reminded Him that He promises to give His children what they ask for in prayer. “If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you”.  (John 15:7 ESV) However I checked off my list of ‘All I know to do’, I could not seem to receive and continue to walk in God’s wisdom.
 I have received His guidance in many areas of my life.  But I have recently discovered the reason why there has been an inconsistency.  I have realized that the wisdom did not generally arrive as I sat in times of contemplating the greatness of God.  It did not come when I simply spent time in worship or as I voiced my gratefulness. It did not even come simply because I requested it in prayer. There was another key to moving off start and actually moving in wisdom.  In the last year, I have come to realize the other aspect of my life that was this key.
Directions for how to develop and live in the wisdom of God are found in Psalms. “The reverent fear and worship of the Lord is the beginning of [a]Wisdom and skill [the preceding and the first essential, the prerequisite and the alphabet]; a good understanding, wisdom, and meaning have all those who do [the will of the Lord]Their praise of Him endures forever.)”  (Psalm 111:10 AMP) We have already established in Proverbs that the starting spot of the game of Wisdom is reverence and respect.  To get off start and actually move through life with wisdom, we must do something.  This wisdom is given to all who do His will.
 Obedience was that missing key.  We must listen to and do the will of God.  As we walk in obedience to each direction He gives us, we will obtain the wisdom for the next step.  We often want it the other way around.  We want the entire game plan before we start to move.  But God tells us to move and He will supply the direction as we go.  He leads from in front, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” (John 10:27 ESV) As we walk, He also leads from behind.  “And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left.” (Isaiah 30:21ESV) He has also given us the rule/play book; the Word of God.  So, we must walk in obedience, trusting that wisdom will be given, even when we begin to misstep. 
We start by learning who God really is.  This is not just titles, but truly encountering His nature.  We stand in amazement of and acknowledge Him.  Then we walk in what we know, being led step by step.  One move at a time we will advance around the game board of this life.

 So, get off start.  Make your move of obedience and get it the game.  It will be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment