Friday, November 22, 2013

Baby Ducks

For little over year, I watched three children in addition to my son. Having been the parent of an only child, suddenly taking care of four was an adjustment.  I learned many lessons during this time.
One day, we were sitting by the lake. We observed a mother duck and six baby ducklings. As a mother duck swam the ducklings followed in a single file line. Wherever mama duck went, the ducklings followed. Then suddenly, as if on cue, the ducklings went into a double line. It was as if they had been told, “Pick a partner and get in line.” They continued swimming this way for some time. Then again as if on cue, they went back to the single file line.
The mama duck never had to turn to instruct or scold her babies. She simply swam and with whatever communication she used, they followed her wherever she went. We could neither see if this communication consisted of small gestures, nor could we hear if there were soft verbal cues coming from the mother. All we knew was the beauty and grace that we saw. The ducklings following just as mother intended.
Not wanting to be someone who continually yelled at the children, I looked for ways to make obedience preferable. So after seeing this together, the children and I talked about mama duck and her ducklings. We decided that this would become a new code word when we were out public. Things can get very chaotic with four children between the ages of seven and ten. So it was decided that day, that when I wanted them to follow me quietly and in a single file line, I would call, “baby ducks.” If I wanted them to change to following me two buy two, I would call, “double ducks.” This began as a game but ended up being a very convenient way to obtain the behavior that I desired. I didn’t have to yell or complain. When I said either ‘baby ducks’ or ‘double ducks,’ the children responded quickly and properly.
I’ve thought about those ducks many times.  Why did the ducklings follow the mama so easily and with total trust?  I’ve believe the trust was born from experience. Mama duck a given them life. She had fed and cared for them to sustain that life. She also protected them from the dangers to that life. They had no reason to do anything but trust mama duck.
We have all of those same things with the Lord. “Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6 ESV)  And He promises this life to us. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.”  (John 10:10 ESV)  We are fed by his word and have promises of provision for every need. And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19 ESV)  The Lord cares for us tenderly with great love. “How precious is your steadfast love, O God! The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings.” (Psalm 36:7 ESV) “He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.” (Psalm 91:4 ESV) 
 So we have the promise of the Lord for so much more than mama duck gives to her children. So let us be like the baby ducklings. We can follow Jesus wherever he leads. Whether the direction comes by reading the Bible, hearing a message that touches the heart, or simply feeling God’s promptings in daily situations, follow God’s lead.  There need be no vying for place in line and we can swim side-by-side with our brothers and sisters. It will be a beautiful thing to observe.  Who knows?  Someone may be watching and using us as their example of obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment