Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Who’s In Control of Your Life’s Vehicle?

I recently went on a trip with three other women.  One had purchased a newer SUV and offered to drive.  We gladly took her up on that offer.  My friend drove the majority of the way to St. Louis. After about five hours of driving, she asked me to drive the final hour. When I entered the car I asked her where the cruise control was. She replied that she did not know. She never uses the cruise because she liked being in control of the vehicle.
My response to this statement was that I liked not having to think about how fast I am going. I find peace in not having to worry if I am speeding or have slowed down and become a danger to those around me. To me, cruise control simply means one less thing to be concerned with while driving. I can keep my focus on the road ahead, the drivers around me and my rearview mirrors. Oh yeah, and the great conversation in the car, as well!
 Later on that trip, I began to think of our two responses to cruise control and how they could apply to other areas. Do I try to stay in control of my life, or do I let God set that control?  Who is in control of my life’s vehicle?
What does being in control of your life’s vehicle mean?  Three major areas that people often try to control come to mind. These are the where we are going, how fast we get there, and what the other drivers are doing along the route.
The first control issue is the direction my life is going. Trying to control the direction of our lives can be very dangerous. “There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death.” (Proverbs 14:12 &16:25 ESV)  I was surprised to see that this verse appears twice in Proverbs, not just once. When I looked up the two passages I found that in chapter 14 this “way that seems right” appears between verses concerning a fool and evil ways. In chapter 16 it appears between verses that speak of wisdom and good. We must be very careful to not follow the way that seems right to us.  Whether it leads us directly into sin or it sacrifices God’s best, we don’t want to be lead by what seems be good.
The path that God leads us on can be contrary to where we want to go.  It can also be against the flow of traffic as others go the opposite way, choosing to not follow God. And still others will follow different plans as God leads them.  We are commanded by Jesus to seek that narrow path that was planned for us.  “Enter through the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and spacious and broad is the way that leads away to destruction, and many are those who are entering through it.  But the gate is narrow (contracted by pressure) and the way is straitened and compressed that leads away to life, and few are those who find it.” (Matthew 7:13-14 AMP)   We want to be sure that we aim for and enter by that narrow gate.Setting the speed of our spiritual journey can also be quite dangerous.  Impatience can cause us to run ahead of God.  He has a lot to say about waiting for Him.  “The Lord is good to those who wait hopefully and expectantly for Him, to those who seek Him [inquire of and for Him and require Him by right of necessity and on the authority of God’s word].” (Lamentations 3:25)  This verse both instructs us to wait with expectation and promises a benefit.  We are to wait, anticipate and seek His plan.  Both God and the plan will be good to us.                                                                                Not only must we not get ahead of God, but we must keep up with Him.  The attitude Matthew took when Jesus called him should be our attitude. “And after this, Jesus went out and looked [attentively] at a tax collector named Levi sitting at the tax office; and He said to him, Join Me as a disciple and side with My party and accompany Me. And he forsook everything and got up and followed Him [becoming His disciple and siding with His party].”(Luke 5:27-28 AMP)  When we hear the call of God to move forward, we should respond immediately.  The disciples followed Jesus for three years, staying close to hear His words.                                                                                                                                                 If you have run ahead or lagged behind, now is the time to return to the proper place.  ‘Therefore return to your God! Hold fast to love and mercy, to righteousness and justice, and wait [expectantly] for your God continually! (Hosea 12:6)  The perfect attitude of our hearts should be, “My times are in Your hands;” (Psalm 31:15a AMP)
The final area we are often tempted to try to control our life’s vehicle really concerns others more than ourselves.  We must learn that we cannot control the destinies of others.  Just as we cannot will that slow driver to speed up or turn off, we cannot will others to change the pace or direction of their lives.  All we can do is be good drivers ourselves and hope to influence those around us.  We can choose whether we follow or pass another vehicle depending on where and how they are driving.  We choose also who we follow, move beyond or stay alongside on our life’s journey.  Whatever we do should be with respect for others.  “Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.” (1Corinthians 10:24 ESV)

So my advice to all is to scoot over and give up control of the wheel and the gas pedal.  Jesus can drive your life far better than you can.  Relax and enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment