Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Hide and Seek

Children love to play hide and seek. We can all probably remember the best hiding spot we ever found. I personally remember hiding in a hamper underneath a sweater. Although they had opened the hamper, they still didn’t find me. I waited until no one was around to climb out of my spot, in hopes of using it again in another game. My son’s favorite spot was in a kitchen set we once had. The table had a picnic bench seat with a storage compartment. He had climbed in there, and much to the frustration of his playmates, was never found. They had passed through the kitchen several times, checking the pantry and all lower cabinets. It had not occurred to them that the bench may open up, revealing the perfect hiding spot. And then there was the time the daughter of some friends crawled into a tiny cabinet. When the children could not find her, they enlisted the help of the parents. Even though we searched she remained unfound. As we began to panic, believing she was gone, she opened this tiny door and yelled, “Surprise!”
Most everybody can think back with fond memories to great times playing hide and seek. There is just something so fun about being able to fool the seeker. Hearing someone search all around and then move on to another room brings an exhilaration that you have made the cleverest choice. When the seeker returns, often with others to assist in the search, you hold your breath and hope that you can again evade detection. When finally found, or called out as being unable to find, you bask in the accolades of those who tell you what a good hider you are.
The Bible speaks about finding that perfect hiding place.  You are a hiding place for me; You, Lord, preserve me from trouble, You surround me with songs and shouts of deliverance. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!” (Psalm 32:7 AMP)  Yes, that perfect hiding place is God himself. We can run to Him in times of trouble. We can run to him in times of joy. We are told to live in that hiding place.  “ He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty [Whose power no foe can withstand].  I will say of the Lord, He is my Refuge and my Fortress, my God; on Him I lean and rely, and in Him I [confidently] trust!(Psalm 91:1-2 AMP) 
Dwelling in the secret place of the Most High is living a constant awareness of God in our everyday life. It means staying in constant communication with and obedience to Him. Then we are surrounded by God and totally enveloped by Him.  The enemies of this life cannot find us. Problems may abound and storms rage all around us. Hidden in the protection of the Lord, they cannot harm us.  We can wait in confidence for His deliverance from our trials. Another picture of this hiding place is, “For You have been my help, and in the shadow of Your wings will I rejoice.(Psalm 63:7AMP) Can’t you just see those giant wings covering every inch of your body, as God tenderly pulls you to Himself? There is no way that trouble can find you there or pry you from those wings.
Hide and Seek may be a child’s game. It may be played for fun and the seeker is a friend not an enemy. But in real life, finding your hiding place in God is essential.  We will all face trials in life. Search for God and find that daily refuge in him. Search with all your heart, just as you intently looked for that great hiding place as a child. You will again feel the safety and exhilaration of knowing that problems will not find you there.
King David was no stranger to trouble seeking him. Yet he eloquently expressed an awareness of this principle in Psalm 3. 1 LORD, HOW they are increased who trouble me! Many are they who rise up against me. 2 Many are saying of me, There is no help for him in God. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!  3 But You, O Lord, are a shield for me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.  4 With my voice I cry to the Lord, and He hears and answers me out of His holy hill. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!  5 I lay down and slept; I wakened again, for the Lord sustains me.  6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people who have set themselves against me round about.  7 Arise, O Lord; save me, O my God! For You have struck all my enemies on the cheek; You have broken the teeth of the ungodly.  8 Salvation belongs to the Lord; May Your blessing be upon Your people. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]! (Psalm 3 AMP)
Join the company of great hiders who knew when to seek refuge. You too can experience the peace of knowing that God sustains you. And you can rejoice! Receive the accolades of your Heavenly Father as He whispers to you of what a great hider you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment