Monday, December 2, 2013

Update Now?

Often, when I turn on my computer, I get a message that a new update is ready for one of the programs that I use. At the end of this message will inevitably be the inquiry, “update now?” Sometimes this is rather irritating. I have just turned on my computer, so I usually have an intention of using it. At the end of one of these updates, I will be required to restart the computer. There will be very little time before what I have started working on will need to be stopped and closed so that the computer can restart. 
My first inclination is generally to ignore. I will click “remind me later.” I will then go about my business and open the programs I had intended. Although this works for the moment, the reminder generally comes the next time I turn my computer on. This leaves me in the same scenario that I have already experienced. I will again turn on the computer, click “remind me later” and go about my intended use.
As this occurred the other day, I actually paused to think of what this meant. On this occasion, it was my antivirus software that needed updating. I chose not to ignore this one and allowed it to begin the update. The potential damage of not having the software functional is too big a risk. There are many programs that I can ignore updates altogether. Other programs that I use frequently, I will need to update, but not necessarily at the current moment. These I can hit ignore a time or two. I can go about using my computer and plan to update when I am finished. But this is not true of this antivirus software. These update requests I take seriously and treat with urgency.
Whenever I am confronted by the Scripture or a thought from the Holy Spirit, I am challenged to update my spiritual condition. How do I respond to these urgings? Do I click “remind me later” and go about my day? Do I simply ignore God’s gentle correction? Or do I truly see the leading of God as urgently as I see the need to keep my computer protected?
I am reminded of the story in Exodus of the plague of frogs. The frogs were everywhere, even filling the Palace, when Pharaoh called for Moses. Moses asked Pharaoh when to pray for God to take the frogs away. Pharaoh’s response was “tomorrow.” “Then Pharaoh called Moses and Aaron and said, “Plead with the Lord to take away the frogs from me and from my people, and I will let the people go to sacrifice to the Lord.”  Moses said to Pharaoh, “Be pleased to command me when I am to plead for you and for your servants and for your people, that the frogs be cut off from you and your houses and be left only in the Nile.”  And he said, “Tomorrow.” Moses said, “Be it as you say, so that you may know that there is no one like the Lord our God.”  (Exodus 8:8-10 ESV)  I have to wonder why his response was not, “Right now! Immediately! Yesterday would’ve been nice!” But Pharaoh chose to live one more day with the frogs.
How many times does God speak to my heart concerning something that needs to be changed? Sometimes the Father is only looking for a minor adjustment to an attitude or behavior. Sometimes, I may require a more drastic change. Either way, when the Lord speaks to me, I need to respond in the same manner that the young boy Samuel was instructed to answer the voice of the Lord.  “…if he calls you, you shall say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.’” (1Samuel 3:8 AMP) This is so much better than to reply, “ignore” or “remind me later.”  We must listen to and follow the Holy Spirit’s direction.
Attention and obedience should be immediate. We see this instruction to the people of God both in Psalms and in Hebrews.  “Today, if you will hear His voice, harden not your hearts as at Meribah and as at Massah in the day of temptation in the wilderness,” (Psalm 95:7-8 AMP) and “Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, on the day of testing in the wilderness,” (Hebrews 3:7-8 ESV)  This attitude of hardening our hearts, or ignoring the voice of the Lord seems to be common of man. It occurred in the desert, later in the times of the Psalmists and again in New Testament times.  Still it continues today.
Many things in our lives can be distractions to our true purpose. These distractions can and should be either ignored completely or put off to a more opportune time. We are to stay focused on the purpose God has placed in our heart. But when the interruption is the voice of the Lord, do not ignore it or put it off to a later date. Listen and respond with obedience. If His voice brings a correction to a bad attitude or behavior, simply repent and make the correction needed. Then you can continue in your purpose with a new drive and the confidence that you are protected and focused in the right direction.

 “For he says, “In a favorable time I listened to you, and in a day of salvation I have helped you.” Behold, now is the favorable time; behold, now is the day of salvation.” (2 Corinthians 6:2 ESV) Every day of life is that favorable time. Salvation is a full and purposed life focused on God. Respond, obey and walk in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment