Friday, December 12, 2014

Meet Me Along the Way!

An outing with a friend can always be fun. The planned destination for one such outing had me driving nearly passed the location where a friend would be. She stated that she would just meet me along the way. I was to take a particular route and I would find her along that route. I knew the general area that she would be in, but she was not sure of the exact street and would be walking, so I did not know the precise location.
We met up and went on with our little trip. I wonder though, what would have happened if I changed my route. There are many streets I could have driven along. What if I had chosen to alter my course to avoid traffic? Even if I had left the path for only a few blocks, I could have missed her entirely by detouring around and coming back onto the path beyond the location where she was? I needed to stay on the agreed upon route through heavy traffic and any other obstacles so there was no chance of missing the meeting place.
Speaking of himself in the Psalms, King David spoke of blessings that will meet us along the way. Praising the Lord for His care for those who follow Him David said, “For You send blessings of good things to meet him; You set a crown of pure gold on his head.” (Psalm 21:3 AMP) These blessings were ahead and sent to meet David along his path. This path was not always an easy path, but  David met up with them as he followed God’s way.
God has given each of us a designated path to follow. “You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy, at Your right hand there are pleasures forevermore.” (Psalm 16:11 AMP) Jesus also said, “The sheep that are My own hear and are listening to My voice; and I know them, and they follow Me.” (John 10:27 AMP) We hear the voice of the Lord and follow the path which He leads us to follow. Along this path God has sent blessings out to meet us. When we stray off this path we are in danger of missing those blessings. We can be just a short distance off the path but pass right by the blessing itself.
When we decide to go our own way and choose to do what we desire in the moment, we can miss the path that God has planned for us. We may not even be doing bad things and still be heading in the general direction of God’s plan. We simply are not looking and listening to where He would guide us. Solomon spoke of this. “A man's mind plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps and makes them sure.” (Proverbs 16:9 AMP) We must let God’s direction replace our own plans. When we do listen to the voice of the Lord we can be confident that there will be joy in the path He sets. “The steps of a [good] man are directed and established by the Lord when He delights in his way [and He busies Himself with his every step].” (Psalm 37:23 AMP) God delights in our way!
We must not only walk in the path God has designed for us, but we need to be on the lookout for what He sends our way. Blessings can take many different forms.  Some are obvious and others are subtle hearts desires sent by God. Some blessings are in the form of opportunities that initially require some work but will result in joy and fulfillment that are beyond words. If I had not been looking along the side of the road that day, I may have missed my friend even as I drove right by her. Likewise we must look for what God has placed in our path.
So the blessings have been sent to meet us. Let’s walk along the path that God has chosen for us. It simply is not worth stepping off even for a short period of time. What we miss can be great. And as we walk on this path let’s keep our eyes open to see what comes our way.

As you walk today listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit and follow where He leads. Keep your eyes open for what comes to you and enjoy the blessings that meet you from the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment