Monday, March 17, 2014

A Different Way, A Better Way

We have just returned from a week long vacation. One of the main details that had to be worked out in planning our time away was to arrange care for our dogs, Beamer and Kari. We were actively seeking someone who would come to house and dog sit during our absence. At 22 years old, our son has more single friends that could possibly relocate to our home for a short time. Though he asked around, he was unable to find someone who was available during the needed time. One week before our planned departure, we were still actively seeking someone to fill this need.
By this time I had become a bit nervous. If it were merely a weekend trip, we could accept a caregiver coming in two to three times per day to feed and play with the dogs. But this trip was going to be eight days long. That time frame was far too long.  Beamer and Kari needed a human presence for at least a part of every day, even if it was primarily someone sleeping in the home. We continued to pray and look, believing God had the perfect person to meet this need for us.
Exactly one week before we were to leave, I was praying for the answer to become clear to us. The thought occurred to me that I should request prayer in our small group gathering the following day. As soon as this thought crossed my mind, the real answer became clear to me. A short while back a family in our group had happily offered to care for the two dogs of another family. When I asked concerning our dogs and this trip, they were happy to help, and their children were very excited at the thought of having two dogs to play with for an entire week.
How often do we pray about situations over and over again with an idea of what the answer should look like? Often during these times we don’t even know what the real need is. I’m so glad that our heavenly father does truly see and meet every need we have. He sees more accurately than we do and graciously wants to meet the real need, not the one we perceive. “for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him. (Matthew 6:8 AMP)  My husband, son and I all thought we knew how this should work out. We were sure having someone to stay and care for the dogs in their own home was the proper direction. Instead, we learned this valuable principle. “A man’s mind plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps and makes them sure.” (Proverbs 16:9 AMP)  It is very comforting to know that although we are to make plans, God will direct us in the right and secure way to go. 
I had been so busy looking for an answer that looked the way I expected it, that I nearly missed God’s real plan. His plans were so much better. “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, says the Lord.” (Isaiah 55:8 AMP)  Not only did we go on a vacation, but Beamer and Kari went on their own vacation. They had a new place to stay and children to play with. So while we were away having a special time with family, they were able to have a special time with children who doted on them. At the end of the week we all came home and were happily reunited. 
So I learned a valuable lesson about prayer through all this. We are told “Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God.” (Philippians 4:6 AMP)  Along with not being anxious I think I will start adding to my specific requests the phrase “unless You have something better in mind, Lord.” I will also precede my prayers with, “Show me Your ways, O Lord; teach me Your paths.” (Psalm 25:4 AMP)  I most definitely do not know as much as I think I do. But I do know that His way is always better than mine. 

As you go about your day and bring your needs and desires before the Lord, be open as you ask him for the things you want. Always check to see if he has a different way. If God does have a different way, it will always be a better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment