Friday, March 7, 2014

Passing on Directions

One evening, I was overwhelmed with time commitments. My husband graciously offered to run two errands for me. The first stop was a location that he knew well, but the other was a home that he had never been to. I had only been there twice, both times after dark, and was unsure of how to give him good directions. My initial call to get the proper directions was not immediately answered. So David took off to the first location, taking along with him the items that were to be dropped off at the second home.  If we could not connect with our friends, he would simply bring these items back home with him.
Short they after he left, I received call back and was able to get the easiest directions to my friend’s home. I immediately called David to let him know. So as he left the first location he called for directions. There were several turns including one that had a landmark rather than a street number. I stayed on the phone with him and directed him turn by turn.  He was able to find the home, drop off the items and return to our home.  What looked like it might not work out at all ended up running quite smoothly. Errands were run, David returned and I was able to focus on other things that required my attention.
I thought about how this is the way things should work in the body of Christ. We are commanded to help one another in their struggles.  "Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ."  (Galatians 6:2 ESV) That is exactly what my husband did for me that evening. I had more things to do then time would allow. Although I felt that I should be taking care of these commitments myself, his willing offer lifted a weight off of me.
Another principle that I saw involved one helping another to find the right path. You see this throughout Scripture. The epistles are all written by one believer giving directions on how to walk out a journey of faith. Sometimes this was one-on-one, as in Paul writing to Timothy. Other times letters were written to entire churches of a specific town. In still other times it was written to many brothers scattered around, as in the book of James. All of these teachers received their instruction from the Word of God and speaking and listening to the Holy Spirit. They passed on what they had learned to others. "That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life— the life was made manifest, and we have seen it, and testify to it and proclaim to you the eternal life," (1 John 1:1-2a ESV)  This passage is a great example, because John goes on to give several directions on how to follow the path Jesus has set for us.
I even thought about not immediately receiving an answer to my first call for directions. Sometimes we do not receive the answers we seek from God as quickly as we would like. In these times we must choose to continue looking to God and wait patiently for His response. We may be tempted to jump ahead and settle for what we think is right, rather than waiting on Him. This always causes undue trouble and wasted energy. Had I tried to give directions from my memory it would have been far more difficult for David to find his way. Likewise, if we do not wait for clear direction from God, we cause trouble both ourselves and those around us.  It is best to wait and believe this promise from Father, "When he calls to me, I will answer him;" (Psalm 91:15a ESV) 
My husband was a great help to me that evening. And by writing down the directions and relaying them onto him, I was able to make his path easy.

So as you go about your day, look for ways to help others, allow another to help you with directions and always wait on the direction from the Lord. You will accomplish the task before you.

No comments:

Post a Comment