Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Come When You Are Called!

One morning as I was spending time in the Word, My dog Beamer came up to cuddle beside me. I called to Kari, my other dog who was across the room, to come also. (I have two dogs and two sides so there is plenty of room.) But Kari stayed aloof that morning. She jumped up on the other couch and snuggled into the afghan that was there. 
David came down from upstairs and gave the dogs their morning vitamins and dental sticks. He then let them outside before he left for work. After this, the dogs went to their favorite chairs in the living room, while I continued to study in the den. 
As I was wrapping up my study time, Kari came and jumped up on the couch beside me. It was really time for me to go so that I could finish getting ready for work, but I gave her five minutes of belly rubs and cuddling. I then hurried to get ready for work. I regretted that it could only be five minutes, but I really had no time left before I needed to get out the door in order to make it to work.  As I fixed my hair and lunch, I considered how much more time Kari and I could have shared had she only come earlier, when I initially called for her.
My thoughts then turned to how much time I may have missed with God by not coming when He first calls. 
What do I have to do that is so important that I cannot immediately say, “I’m coming, Abba.”  Is cleaning the kitchen, reading a book, watching TV or playing a computer game really that important? None of these things are bad, but nor are they never reasons to ignore God’s call to time away with Him.  Is working in a ministry or helping others more important than coming when the Father calls?  Rest is a good thing, but is hitting that snooze button the best thing I can do?  Jesus tells the story of a man who gave the banquet and invited many. (See Luke 14:16-24)  One by one they came with excuses. One had recently bought land, another had purchased oxen and a third had recently married. The man giving the banquet said, “ Go out into the highways and hedges and urge and constrain [them] to yield and come in, so that my house may be filled. For I tell you, not one of those who were invited shall taste my supper.” (Luke 14-24 AMP)  I do not want this to be the result of my inattention to God’s invitations.   No excuse is worth missing what God has called me to.  
So what does this invitation from the Lord sound like?  At times it is a call to listen.  “Incline your ear [submit and consent to the divine will] and come to Me; hear, and your soul will revive; and I will make an everlasting covenant or league with you, even the sure mercy (kindness, goodwill, and compassion) promised to David.”  (Isaiah 55:3 AMP)  At other times it is a call to rest.  Jesus called out, “ Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.]” (Matthew 11:28 AMP)  And still at another time it is a call to romance.  (See Song of Solomon chapter 4)  In these and other places in the Bible, God has made it obvious that He longs for us to come and spend time close to Him.  As a Father for His children, a Bridegroom for His bride and a Friend for a friend; God longs for us.  (Isn’t that amazing?!) 
It is our choice to respond to His call.  We can be like Beamer was that morning and come of our own choice to an open invitation.  We can come as soon as we hear our name called.  Or we can set our own schedule.  I hope I will always share the feelings of the psalmist when he said.  “But it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord God and made Him my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works.” (Psalm 73:28 AMP) God never has somewhere else to go like I did that morning. He will always be there when we call. So come often.  But, to come when He calls is the best!  Answering regular invitations can preclude the need to run in times of trouble.   
So what will your response be when God calls to you?  Will you come immediately?  Will you delay and only receive some of what you could have?  Will you ignore the call or make excuses and not listen to His voice.  The choice is yours.  Choose well.


No comments:

Post a Comment